• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1898 Error Indian Head Cent, Off-Center Strike & Double Struck Date.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

The coin you have posted is severely corroded and is definitely NOT worth the costs associated with grading a coin. The off-center strike is notable but actually not rare for the time period. The coin is of little to no value beyond a keepsake.

The coin is corroded and was cleaned as well as being worn. I'm not sure whether it was actually double struck or was damaged or altered outside the mint. Given its poor condition (at best Good details), I don't think it would be worth the grading, error attribution and other fees associated with submission to a third-party grading service for an opinion as to whether it is an actual mint error.

On 5/30/2024 at 8:10 PM, Sandon said:

The coin is corroded and was cleaned as well as being worn. I'm not sure whether it was actually double struck or was damaged or altered outside the mint. Given its poor condition (at best Good details), I don't think it would be worth the grading, error attribution and other fees associated with submission to a third-party grading service for an opinion as to whether it is an actual mint error.

It looks like a chatter coin where the coin die bounced and the coin moved slightly then a second strike off center..  crappy old mint machines

On 6/29/2024 at 12:51 PM, Greenstang said:

In that condition it is not worth much above face value.    
Hard to even tell what the date is.

Q.A.:  In that case, I defy anyone to claim such a coin, with No date or other substantiation, is eligible for submission. (Very brave of @Sandon to assess its deplorable state as "Good."  My memory of Red Book Good is all the legends and mottos are discernible.)

To All Combatants:

Can we at least agree on that?  Alright, then.  🤣

*Quick add-on: the OP in his initial post, states he acquired this at auction. In light of the comments received to date, I am not going to ask why. Instead, I would like to know what representations were made to him as to date, provenance, etc. as it appears the off-strike character of the coin was its sole selling point.

🐓:  Bingo!