• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has NGC ever graded one of these?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I tried doing a quick search and didn’t come up with much on graded pieces. I know that both the big TPGs do grade various medals. This may be a better question for the official NGC folks. Here is the info from Numista for anyone that is interested.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia187328.html

On 5/28/2024 at 9:20 PM, Lem E said:

I tried doing a quick search and didn’t come up with much on graded pieces. I know that both the big TPGs do grade various medals. This may be a better question for the official NGC folks. Here is the info from Numista for anyone that is interested.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia187328.html

Thank you very much. Does anyone know where you might possibly be able to buy one of these? Thanks again.

The Medal you have posted is a Dutch medal from 1655. It commemorates the opening of the new CITY HALL OF AMSTERDAM 1655, medal by G. Pooll. Obv. View of the town hall with the Nieuwe Kerk on the right, Mercury above. On a pedestal the names of the mayors and MDCLV. Inscription on the coat of arms of Amsterdam FUIT HÆC SAPIENTIA QUONDAM. I have no research or information on the reverse, but several different types exist with the same obverse. The reverse appears to show the Port of Amsterdam. The medal is very rare and is not going to be easy to find for sale. From past auction exchanges of these Dutch Historical Medals IMO value depending on condition can reach $1500.00 plus US. Good luck. NGC and PCGS have never graded this exact medal. If you find it grade it. Cheers!

Thank you for the information. I have found further information that they were made in 1587. My one question & probably most important is, if they’re Dutch, why does the reverse have Hebrew inscription at the top & if I’m not mistaken is the Hebrew word for God? I have found some for sale but without grading, I don’t know what to trust when you get in these price ranges. It seems Britain has maintained most numismatics from this period. Thanks again for the information & if you find anything else out, it is much appreciated. Be blessed! Travis 

On 5/29/2024 at 3:00 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

The Medal you have posted is a Dutch medal from 1655. It commemorates the opening of the new CITY HALL OF AMSTERDAM 1655, medal by G. Pooll. Obv. View of the town hall with the Nieuwe Kerk on the right, Mercury above. On a pedestal the names of the mayors and MDCLV. Inscription on the coat of arms of Amsterdam FUIT HÆC SAPIENTIA QUONDAM. I have no research or information on the reverse, but several different types exist with the same obverse. The reverse appears to show the Port of Amsterdam. The medal is very rare and is not going to be easy to find for sale. From past auction exchanges of these Dutch Historical Medals IMO value depending on condition can reach $1500.00 plus US. Good luck. NGC and PCGS have never graded this exact medal. If you find it grade it. Cheers!

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 5:04 AM, Traghan said:

if they’re Dutch, why does the reverse have Hebrew inscription at the top & if I’m not mistaken is the Hebrew word for God?

A number of large German, and apparently Dutch, coins and medals from the 1500s and 1600s include the name of God in Hebrew letters overlooking a city or landscape, apparently as a representation by Christians of the Almighty watching over or blessing their city or country. (This name is considered holy by observant Jews and is never uttered by them, not even in prayer.)  You should be able to find a coin or medal with this inscription, though not necessarily this exact one.

Edited by Sandon
corrected one word

Two things...

One, while I am not a religious scholar, I do not believe the "tetragrammaton" depicted on the coin, is an accurate rendition of JHVH/YHWH's name in Hebrew;

Two, whether 1655 or 1587, what does the medal commemorate?  What is the significance of that date?

Anybody?