• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Census Report Question
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Could someone please explain this to me. 

I pull up this census report and click on variety, wanting to know what the variety is for this coin.

Screenshot2024-05-27at8_51_53AM.thumb.png.36a30b759d072092735914acca2cb9e2.png

Then this page comes up.  What is the variety?

Screenshot2024-05-27at9_00_22AM.thumb.png.4ec30f63e1fe11952bb89fd00185e8a0.png

(...as you may know, you've broken my broken leg three times in a row... that's a lot of lay-up time...these census reports (and valuation reports all carry disclaimers... you know, we are not responsible for this or that... values fluctuate with the market, etc.,...my preliminary advice is use them as a persiscope...they let you know "there" are mutations out there... malheureusement, there is not enough time, manpower or bandwidth available to accommodate coin connoisseurs like yourself to describe each and every variety for every little niche of U.S. coinage to everyone's satisfaction.  The primary purpose of this device is to inform the collector that varieties either exist or do not exist and if you choose to exercise an available option, it's right there: TAP "Shop Now!" in the nice convenient blue box situated right under the multi-color banner: "Find it on eBay."  

Sorry you had to wait three hours for a reply to your Topic, but think of it this way, you lucked out....out of the thousands of lurkers out there, you got me first!  ^^

Great, this is number 4!  And I get you again with all the Mumbo Jumbo.  Tapping on the "Shop Now"  in the nice convenient blue box situated right under the multi-color bannershows shows "ZERO" listings about varieties on eBay. But I guess you didn't check that! If there is not enough time, manpower or bandwidth available to accommodate coin connoisseurs, they shouldn't even have created a "GRAY" box that says Varieties.

Once again, your word salad feed back was useless! But thanks for playing.  

You're a good sport, tj! 

The last time I questioned why the Census Report for Worl Coins, and more particularly, French 20-francs gold roosters carried NO PRICES FOR ANY OF THE MINT STATE GRADES, (and they still don't) I was told "Stop the bashing!" and didn't bring it up again. I managed to compile the # 1 ranked set on the West coast, flying blind.  I had no records.  All the auction records were incomplete. I identify with your predicament completely!

....and what does "First Day of Mintage" mean? Is the encapsulated coin from the pieces struck on the first day coins were produced? How was that determined? (If it's like the Kennedy halves that were "certified" it's a false certification.)

On 5/28/2024 at 11:49 AM, RWB said:

....and what does "First Day of Mintage" mean? Is the encapsulated coin from the pieces struck on the first day coins were produced? How was that determined? (If it's like the Kennedy halves that were "certified" it's a false certification.)

Your singing my song Roger. 👍

I do not remember who it was who said TPGSs are not obligated to even provide figures -- that it is labor-intensive with no return on endless, constantly evolving numbers.  Imagine having to keep up with those tallies!  I got my first inkling of the problem from my bosom buddies Kurt and z. I was frankly surprised -- like that part in Annie Hall when Woody Allen casually turns around on line and engages in conversation with Marshall McLuhan, who responds to the man he had been disagreeing with in line, basically, "You do not know anything about my work!"  Same thing.  Uncle z said I didn't have a clue about certifications and how they have no reliability due to an infestation of crackheads. Kurt, I believe, was surprised I was unaware of what was going on at coin shows. I didn't. I'm on my own.

Tj, I honestly thought you knew that in a lot of areas of this hobby, you're pretty much on your own.

I knew TPGS activity abroad was on the wane when MA-SHOPS threw in the towel and said here is what we have.  Now if YOU want to do a post-mortem on it, by all means do so -- AT YOUR EXPENSE!

I think the only alternative is to explore other avenues and try a little networking.  Just don't forget: a stranger is not an enemy.  He's only a friend you haven't met.

On 5/28/2024 at 10:49 AM, RWB said:

Unless they can prove the entire mintage was made on a single day, or have records showing the mint resumed minting after the receipt date, they can't prove it.

So, it's just Marketing puffery.

"This chariot was only driven to the temple on feast days by a little old Roman Lady."

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 12:37 PM, bstrauss3 said:

Unless they can prove the entire mintage was made on a single day, or have records showing the mint resumed minting after the receipt date, they can't prove it.

"This chariot was only driven to the temple on feast days by a little old Roman Lady."

Wait, was it the First Day for the numismatic / philatelic cover or the coins on it? For MANY decades, philatelic first day covers have had NOTHING TO DO with when the stamps were printed. That was ALWAYS months before.  

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 2:15 PM, tj96 said:

Could someone please explain this to me. 

I pull up this census report and click on variety, wanting to know what the variety is for this coin.

Screenshot2024-05-27at8_51_53AM.thumb.png.36a30b759d072092735914acca2cb9e2.png

Then this page comes up.  What is the variety?

Screenshot2024-05-27at9_00_22AM.thumb.png.4ec30f63e1fe11952bb89fd00185e8a0.png

Variety vista. Com shows three listings under DDRs for this coin

IMG_4323.jpg

Edited by R__Rash

On 5/29/2024 at 1:37 PM, bstrauss3 said:

It's not harmless "puffery" as in laundry detergent. Labels on coins can easily create immense distortions in "value" because many believe what TPGs say is accurate - and in some circumstances it is not!

On 5/29/2024 at 3:38 PM, R__Rash said:

Variety vista. Com shows three listings under DDRs for this coin

IMG_4323.jpg

Before I selfishly claim credit for "starting" this conversation, I would like to know three things:  a). Did you find this information helpful, and b). If not, why not?  We'll let the matter of why a member whose interests have lain in this area of specialization for nine straight years before becoming a member, never knew about this resource. Fair enough?   doh!