• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 WHEAT DDO
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Just looks like a regular cent with some staining on the reverse.   
With over 563 million minted, they are fairly common.   
What makes you think that it is special?

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please try to obtain closer shots or better resolution for your photos and crop them like this:

image.png.a8c9451a2cf9d7dae106e9cb7cb3f4ef.png   image.png.d57043903fc577fa1e9acf982f9f13d8.png

This appears to be a normal, well-circulated (Very Fine obverse, Fine reverse) 1955-D (not 1955) Lincoln cent, with a retail value of five cents. Dealers trade circulated common date wheat reverse cents like this in bulk (hundreds or thousands of pieces at a time) for a few cents each. Based on the photos, the dark areas on the coin appear to be stains or corrosion.

Edited by Sandon
deleted extra photo

On 5/27/2024 at 9:34 AM, Jennifer McFarland said:

Is this a special coin??

I see nothing special about it.

Jennifer - What led you to think this was a doubled die obverse cent?

I don't recall seeing "DDO" in the title when I wrote my initial response. I see no doubling of any type on this coin, but the poor resolution of the photos would likely preclude seeing all but a major doubled die.  

If you're thinking of the well-known 1955 doubled die obverse cent listed in major references, yours couldn't be one of them because it is a 1955-D (Denver mint), not a 1955 (Philadelphia mint). The 1955 doubled die obverse cent looks like this (NGC Coin Explorer Photo):

1955 DOUBLED DIE OBV 1C MS