• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to coins
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Chat Board.

This is the forum for registered sets. You should really be posting questions in the Newbie Forum at the top.   
Nice photos but make sure they are cropped and properly rotated before posting.

Welcome to the NGC chat board. The Administrator will probably move it to a more appropriate forum next week.

Your coin is an 1847 Braided Hair large cent in approximately Fine grade, with a retail value of $30 to $40. A dealer might pay about $20 for it.

In the future, please use photos that show the coin in an upright position and that are cropped to eliminate the surface on which the coin lies.

OMG I'm sorry I don't quiet understand all this I'm starting to collect and I know research is the best way to figure out so I've been on so many sites please forgive 

On 5/27/2024 at 8:13 PM, Denise collins said:

OMG I'm sorry I don't quiet understand all this I'm starting to collect and I know research is the best way to figure out so I've been on so many sites please forgive 

It's all right. We often forget that forum title terms whose knowledge we take for granted, like 'registry', are not well known to newcomers to the hobby. We just get the topic moved where it belongs and go from there; it's only a problem if people don't learn/care (happens more than you might imagine).

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum.  I do not have anything to add on your coin, as I believe @Sandon got it 100%.  While this coin will not buy you a farm, it's a cool piece of history, and always fun to hold history.  Polk was president when this was minted, and the Civil War hadn't happened yet (heck, Lincoln was not born for another 14 years).  

While collectors sometimes move right to the value of the coin, but I think it's even more fun to think about the time when the coin was minted.  What was the average wage at the time? How did they dress?  What did bread cost?   Who was president? ect., etc.  

Have fun with it!

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Abe was 38 when this coin came out I believe.We were at war with Mexico when this came out. 1847. Future President Zachary Taylor was a war hero and a general during that war. 

On 5/29/2024 at 5:47 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Abe was 38 when this coin came out I believe.We were at war with Mexico when this came out. 1847. Future President Zachary Taylor was a war hero and a general during that war. 

Thank you.  I was thinking 14 years before he was president, and wrote "born". YOU are 100% correct.  (Seriously appreciate the correction.(thumbsu)