• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Error coin 2023vdb, extra V
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I wrote in March about this subject and there were not enough to have on NGC.  Now it has them, I have four, so far.  I wanted to know why the coin grading companies are considering this a Variety and not an Error coin as it was a manufacturing error made by accident, human, manufacturing error.  I got the explanation back with my graded coins, but it is a little confusing. Thanks. 

A photo of what you are referring to would help but if you have four the same, then chances are    
that it is a Variety. An Error is usually a one-off caused by a malfunction during the striking process.    
A Variety is on the actual die and there would be multiples of the same produced.

The NGC Registry forum is for topics directly related to the NGC Registry. This topic would receive better attention if posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World and Ancient Coins" forum. The Administrator will likely move it after the holiday.

The 2023 "Extra V" Lincoln cent would be classified as a die variety because it resulted from a characteristic of the obverse die and presumably would appear on each one of the perhaps several hundred thousand coins struck from that die. Doubled dies are classified as die varieties for the same reason.  The term "mint error" is used for coins with significant anomalies that occurred during the production of the specific coin, no two of which are exactly alike. See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com).