• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this penny real?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Recently I have been posting some Lincoln cents that belonged to my partner's grandfather (they are from Cuba). He passed away a few years ago and loved to collect all kinds of coins and other items. In his collection, I found this 1943 penny. He had it along with a little "diary" of how he got it. It included details such as the name of the seller, the place of purchase how much he paid for the penny, and some interesting details about the penny. Could this be real or did he fall for a scam?

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 4.23.22 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 4.23.23 PM(1).jpeg

If you are thinking that it is a copper 1943 cent, more info is required.

What is the weight to two decimal points.  
Does it stick to a magnet.

Answer those and we will take it from there.

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 3:41 PM, Greenstang said:

If you are thinking that it is a copper 1943 cent, more info is required.

What is the weight to two decimal points.  
Does it stick to a magnet.

Answer those and we will take it from there.

the coin weight 3.02 and does not stick to magnet

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 4.23.23 PM.jpeg

Edited by sunOmg

There are thousands (tens of thousands) of copper plated fakes out in the world, it is not impossible yours is real but my bet is that you have one of those fakes.   As you have the information, where, how, and from whom was this coin purchased?

Although the coin's not being attracted to a magnet suggests that it is not a normal 1943 zinc coated steel cent that was copper plated outside of the mint, the odds are that it is one of many counterfeits made over the years.  The coin's severe damage, wear and discoloration may have been contrived to give the impression that it was a coin found in circulation and to cover up the counterfeiter's inability to recreate the fine details and appearance of a genuine piece.  I agree that it is not impossible that this is a genuine 1943 cent struck on a stray bronze planchet, but it is unlikely. I would also be interested in learning about its provenance. 

According to his diary it was in Cienfuegos, Cuba. That has always been like the headquarters of numismatists in Cuba. He wrote that he bought it from a certain Pepe, for 100,000 Cuban pesos, which at that time was really a lot of money in Cuba plus a gold coin, although he does not give an exact date.Right now I am trying to look for more information in his notes although it is a bit difficult to read his handwriting since in Cuba it is written in cursive handwriting.

The coin you have posted is a counterfeit. The areas of the coin which do not match a normal 1943 steel cent give it away instantly. The motto is too far from the edge and the 4 and 3 are totally wrong. Sorry see below.

rmkrwx5m.png

4c3wq4pn.png

I have found on the internet on the pcgs page this image of the one that seems to be certified by them, correct me if I am wrong as I am here to learn more than anything else I know that the probability of it being real is extremely low. But those errors that you mark above are not seen so much in this image. Although those errors I point out above seem extremely convincing.

26441689_Large.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 5:11 PM, sunOmg said:

240844280.jpg

It's a fake. Just look at the 4. The line that horizontally crosses the vertical has too long of a tail. Look at the coin I showed you. If the Bronze cent is a real 1943 it would have been struck with the dies that made the steel cents and would look exactly the same as a steel cent. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

@Mike Meenderink  has a point. There appear to be definite differences in detail between authenticated examples of 1943 bronze cents, as well as steel cents, and the piece in question here.  See also the images of an NGC authenticated piece at 1943 BRONZE 1C MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com). It looks like only Pepe profited from the deal.

If you still think that you may have a genuine 1943 bronze cent, you may want to submit it to NGC or PCGS. You may want to obtain the advice and assistance of a reputable dealer (such as a Professional Numismatists Guild member) in making the submission. See https://www.pngdealers.org/af_memberdirectory.asp.

@Sandon He definitely has a point but I don't think my conscience will leave me alone if I don't go a little further. Although I really appreciate the knowledge you have brought me on this penny or others I have posted before. How do those links work, would it simply be to write to one of those contacts and wait for them to get back to me if possible?

Posted (edited)

If you have to prove it to yourself submit it to NGC for grading in the Error coin service tier. You will receive back a body bag. Enjoy!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

You should be able to access the links by just left clicking them. You can use the PNG member directory to see if there are any PNG member dealers in your area whom you could arrange to meet.