• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC QR Code Sticker

8 posts in this topic

I don't recall seeing any announcements about this. 

A while back, PCGS came out with a new slab with a really cool feature - tap the slab with your phone, and it brings up the PCGS verification page for that coin. I loved it - but I collect a lot more NGC graded coins than PCGS for various reasons.

Just got a new coin today and noticed something cool. I didn't see any announcement, and I didn't see any threads on here talking about it. They've had a QR code to the reverse sticker. Admittedly slightly less convenient than the PCGS version, but it took my straight to the verification page. I could even directly add it to my Registry!

I think this is cool, and (although PCGS did it first) it is a good idea.

I have a group of coins that I submitted around the new year and they don't have this. 

So my question is... when did NGC implement this? 

image.thumb.jpeg.657e996b6815587952763b17ac97713e.jpeg

Awhile further back, PCGS introduced Near Field Technology, an embedded computer chip as a deterrent to counterfeiting and assisting collectors with questions concerning authenticity of the encapsulated product.

Att @physics-fan3.14 : You will be pleased to learn Quintus Arrius and his coterie of trolls have departed the premises.  Welcome back!

The NGC QR stickers were one of the samples distributed at ANA WFoM 2023. It is, however a static code.

The PCGS NFC chips generate a URL with the cert# and a time-based nonce. This allows the URL to "expire" after about 10 or 15 minutes. You then need to rescan to create a new URL with a new nonce. If you want to send someone a link - say a prospective buyer - you can use the old style https://www.pcgs.com/cert/######## link.

On 5/20/2024 at 9:07 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

A while back, PCGS came out with a new slab with a really cool feature - tap the slab with your phone, and it brings up the PCGS verification page for that coin.

I tried that with my regular rotary dial phone --- all I got was some dust from the handset.... ;)

I don't know...

I think it's best to dispense with the formalities and niceties and get to the heart of the matter.

It is my understanding that all innovations are incorporated routinely as standard operating procedure. What we need is an unbiased opinion from someone who is unalterably opposed to certifying everything under the sun. A second opinion, as it were. And who better than @VKurtB is qualified to render an opinion?

All in favor, say "Aye!"

On 5/24/2024 at 7:15 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I don't know...

I think it's best to dispense with the formalities and niceties and get to the heart of the matter.

It is my understanding that all innovations are incorporated routinely as standard operating procedure. What we need is an unbiased opinion from someone who is unalterably opposed to certifying everything under the sun. A second opinion, as it were. And who better than @VKurtB is qualified to render an opinion?

All in favor, say "Aye!"

Since I never use PCGS, I’ll not opine on their NFCish tech. I do use NGC and I have coins with these QR codes. Truthfully, I never bothered with them. I’m not sure what value it adds for me.