• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange cent
1 1

10 posts in this topic

RecentlyI was given this 1929 Lincoln penny as a gift and was wondering how it could get such a level of corrosion because I have seen worn coins but none like it.

IMG_3346.jpeg

IMG_3351.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Hello and welcome to the forum. The 1929 Lincoln cent you have posted does indeed have severe corrosion damage. However, that is not all that is making this penny look funny. A center area portion of the coin's device design (Lincolns Bust) shows indications of Die Subsidence. Die Subsidence is when an area of metal on a coin die has some inferiority. Occasionally the metal used to produce the dies have "soft" or even "brittle" metal interspersed due to improper alloy mixes or errors in the coin die production process. This soft area of the coin die would sink in causing the area affected on the coin itself to become raised and weakly struck. Sometimes as we see here with die crack lines showing the late-stage sunken die.  Overuse of the coin dies would also stress, wear and damage the coin dies causing what is called a Die Deterioration Strike. A Die Deterioration Strike is when a coin mill has severely worn dies, and the coins details are terribly struck from the mint. This term can also be loosely used interchangeably to describe this coin.  The area of the coin die affected by this is quite pronounced yet it has no real collector value in its present condition. It is a good example of a Die Subsidence/ Die Deterioration Error coin but unfortunately relatively common across many modern US coins. Cheers!  

Edited by Mike Meenderink

I am very grateful for your response and for providing your knowledge regarding this subject. I am fairly new to this world and recently my significant other gave me a whole collection of coins that belonged to her grandfather as she thinks we looked a lot alike. And I am trying to find information on some that I have found interesting such as this Lincoln cent that has the D with a bit of rotation or so I think. 

0dcf3ef0-5ea7-4dd0-8257-c1da60be08af.jpeg

Welcome to the Chat Board

Please start a new thread for each coin. It causes confusion with more than one coin per post.

To answer your  question, the mint marks were hand punched so it could be anywhere below the date    
and right  of the bust to be acceptable. In theory if there were 20 dies produced, the mint mark could be
in a slightly different position on each one plus they were not always punched straight.

On 5/20/2024 at 11:50 AM, Seuniel said:

RecentlyI was given this 1929 Lincoln penny as a gift and was wondering how it could get such a level of corrosion because I have seen worn coins but none like it.

IMG_3351.jpeg

What does the label on the holder this coin is in say?

On 5/20/2024 at 4:56 PM, Coinbuf said:

What does the label on the holder this coin is in say?

There is nothing on the label, it is a blank piece of plastic.

On 5/20/2024 at 2:04 PM, Seuniel said:

There is nothing on the label, it is a blank piece of plastic.

Ok just a generic holder that looks like an NGC holder, thanks.

Posted (edited)

OP, would you mind showing a picture of the reverse of that '29 Lincoln?

Edited by Just Bob

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 5:37 PM, Just Bob said:

OP, would you mind showing a picture of the reverse of that '29 Lincoln?

Here you go.

IMG_3357.jpeg

IMG_3361.jpeg

Edited by Seuniel