• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird things ....
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

These are 3 of my registry sets. Look at the 3 set rankings. I have not done this on purpose. Weird....

Walking Liberty Half Dollars, 1916-1947, Circulation Issue (Incl. Varieties)
278 1%   1 / 1 1 / 1 153 12/17/2023
Washington Quarters 1965-1998, Proof Issue
1,445 18%   8 / 8 8 / 8 77 5/20/2024
1957 Proof Set
303 40%   2 / 2 2 / 2 74 2/13/2023
Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)

OK....interesting coincidence. Would results be the same in base 12; base 16; base 20? (Hint: "Nope.")  ;)

Edited by RWB

This is an example of the epitome of numismystique

My crime is I have STEPPED on toes.

You have BUMPED threads ( and others have begun to do so, too.)

Seriously, there is method to their madness.

Malheureusement, separating rhyme from  reason is not one of my stronger points. (That sounds a whole lot better than saying I failed STATISTICS six times in a row... consecutively.)  :whistle:

If I may I should like to respond, helpfully.  To my knowledge, this topic had been addressed on two prior occasions.  Why those members, who got valid responses and do not appear to be interested in sharing them with another member, is beyond me.

All I can say is each TPGS has its own criteria and classification system.. Since it is not possible to view your set, formally, on a Set Registry, I cannot render a conclusion without doing a little comparison shopping.

***  :signofftopic: ***

A 1933 SG DE is out there somewhere. There are 3 types of such.sets on the West coast, and EC, its owner, ranks # 1 in two. Focusing on the Type 3, With Motto, MS, 1908-1933, there are 844 of 2500+ sets, and he has accumulated 657,255 points. Here is the forbidden question: How many points was his coin, an MS-65, awarded? (Yes, this is a trick question made trickier by the fact one of the two TPGS notes: "15-20 known.")

I Iike sets that hew to the same grade line. My 🐓  set, presently ranked # 7, at MS-66, is not possible to complete because the grade I arbitrarily chose is not available for half the earlier dates. (As noted by the distinguished numismatist, z, this does not mean they do not exist; they simply have not been certified and hence, do not appear on any population/census report.)

I wish I knew the answer to your question but the fact is there are a multiplicity of factors considered beyond date and grade. Some are "Top Pop," rarity/scarcity, and, irrespective of all those, whether your set(s) are complete. I could have "completed" both sets if I had the guts to waive the self-imposed, 66-or-else requirement, and more importantly, if the East coast-West coast (factions) combatants had a sit-down and resolved there differences amicably allowing the inclusion of their competitor's World Gold coins in their respective Set Registries.

🐓  : Thanks for not BUMPING this post!