• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DDO 1998 D date
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Picture of coin does not show the coin as a whole but more so taken to show the doubling in the WE TRUST. Not sure if I am posting in the right group but I am looking to sale this just not sure if I should get it graded and and put in a coin auction. Thoughts? Also the back of the coin I cannot tell if the M has been stamped with an A but sideways? Anyone else see that too?

MagnifierPlus_IMG_20240412_192246.jpg

MagnifierPlus_IMG_20240412_192257.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board. The "Coin Marketplace" forum is dedicated to topics offering to buy or sell coins in accordance with the Guidelines posted near the top of the forum, with which your topic does not comply.  A topic like this one should be posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, where it would receive appropriate attention. You should not offer to sell a coin when you have no knowledge of its value.

The images you provided of your 1998-D cent are too brightly lit and/or have inadequate resolution to see any details clearly, as well as being uncropped.  Try to post clearer images that are cropped like this:

dyenamsq.png.b1cf1012b5f845f102ceb8a2e741d54b.png  bfldau5i.png.f3c4c1b2a292234a5eeddabce5c2c517.png

I think I see some light, shallow "strike doubling", also known as machine or mechanical doubling north of "WE TRUST", which is extremely common and of no collector value. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com).  I can see no mint-made anomaly on the "A" in "AMERICA", which may have suffered a nick. 

You appear to be a victim of internet disinformation. In reality, it is extremely unusual to find any coin of substantial value in pocket change. Submitting coins for third-party grading is for those who have sufficient knowledge and experience to make a likely determination of the coin's identity, grade and value. 

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum.   As Sandon wrote your photos are way overexposed with light and that makes them difficult to see and read.   What I can see appears to be simple worthless doubling, either strike doubling or die deterioration.   The zinc core copper plated cents like this one are very susceptible to striking issues as the copper plating tends to move and stretch under the intense pressure and heat that is created at the time the coin is struck.   Sometimes the plating will be stretched too far and break which leaves a silver outline around the letters, date, and mintmark.   Many new people to coins have also mistaken that for doubling.

Your coin is worth one cent, it would be a great waste of your money to have it sent for grading, but that is your choice to make.

Edited by Coinbuf

Thank you for the information.  I don't really collect error coins so I'm not very familiar with all its coin terms and what collectors of those coins look for. I collect coins that are low mintage and uncirculated. I would penny roll a long time ago and pull any coins that were barely circulated to keep them in their pristine condition for future keeping when pennies like such will be hard to find in such condition.  This happened to be one pulled from such time frame. Thank you for your response!