• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major reason why modern coin info is incomplete

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This excerpt, written May 1, 1915 by director Robert Woolley, explains in part why our modern coin design and creation information is so poor. The recipient was the slimy Farran Zerbe.

Excerpt5-1-1915.thumb.jpg.e13736ea4209a2328843b22377312168.jpg

[RG104 E-235 Vol 409]

Edited by RWB

The following comment is nothing less than incendiary and indefensible coming on the heels of my decision to renew my membership, mere hours ago. Consequently, VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED...

Now I know how defense counsel feels when they are put in the untenable position of being assigned to an uncooperative defendant who insists on a suicidal defense and must respectfully ask the Court to beg off the case.

Imprimis, the Topic is misleading. Do you really expect me to defend you against the barrage of "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune," which are sure to follow by introducing a fossilized missive, relic as it were, to justify your antiquated thesis in the internet era? Where does one even begin to look for plausible justification?  That was then; this is now. The horse less carriages with running boards are long gone.

"... why our modern coin design and creation is so poor."?  Surely, you jest!  Did the failure of the Tacoma-Narrows bridge in 1940 deter Othmar Amman, and his team of architects, civil and structural engineers (including my father) from determining the cause of the collapse and devise the necessary improvements for a contemplated Verrazzano-Narrows bridge opened in 1964? When's the last time the NTSB begged off a case saying, "Hey, that [Flight 880] lies in waters ten miles off Long Island's south shore." Never happen.  What does then rudimentary state of the art communications, primitive and anachronistic by today's standards, have anything to do with the leaps in technology which have evolved and been implemented since. [The only reason why Macy*s department store has retained sections of their original wooden escalators is to retain a certain charm and ambiance the public finds enchanting.]

For a highly acclaimed writer who insists, unceasingly, to maintain objectivity to depart from d3corum by injecting an offensive and personal character assassination on one incapable of defending himself is inexcusable and downright unconscionable.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation; I am prepared to accept my punishment.)

If you refer to the real Farran Zerbe, better go back and learn some more about the slimy Zerbe -- there are good reasons ANA pulled his name from their "top" award. Treasury people privately blasted him as untrustworthy and a "screw-up" (my words) for ruining the PPIE coin and medal program. The beat goes on.... " :) Read RAC 1909-1915 for some of the letters before you spout off.

@RWB :  I will have a reply for you shortly.  It is of the utmost importance to me that the membership understand our interaction is cordial, respectful and in all matters, copacetic.

Posted (edited)

@RWB : While my reply may suggest political and religious overtones, the ONLY point I wish to make is:  there are two (and sometimes many more) sides to every story.  I am going to set forth some indisputable facts which I would appreciate your reviewing, followed by a single question and references (which if posted, or moved to "Unsolicited comments," will appear tomorrow, after you, and our armchair historians have had a chance to view it).

● He ordered an attack in 1946 on British military and administrative personnel headquartered at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, Mandatory Palestine which resulted in the destruction of the building's southern wing and the deaths of 91 people, mostly British, Arabs and Jews, soldiers -- and 3 policemen; (46 people were injured.)

●  His face appears on a 1940 prison mugshot I believe taken in Russia; he was born in Belarus.

●  The Palestine Police Force placed him FIRST on its Most Wanted Men list, along with nine others being sought. Throughout the period of unrest, the British MI-5 placed a "dead or alive" bounty of £10,000 on his head.

●  During the 1950's, he was banned from entering the U.K. as the British Government regarded him as "leader of a the terrorist organization -----."

There is much much more but this will suffice and I do not wish to take advantage of Moderation's hospitality.

MY ONLY QUESTION IS:  WHO WAS THIS MAN?

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct typo

On 5/17/2024 at 2:39 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@RWB : While my reply may suggest political and religious overtones, the ONLY point I wish to make is:  there are two (and sometimes many more) sides to every story.  I am going to set forth some indisputable facts which I would appreciate your reviewing, followed by a single question and references (which if posted, or moved to "Unsolicited comments," will appear tomorrow, after you, and our armchair historians have had a chance to view it).

● He ordered an attack in 1946 on British military and administrative personnel headquartered at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, Mandatory Palestine which resulted in the destruction of the building's southern wing and the deaths of 91 people, mostly British, Arabs and Jews, soldiers -- and 3 policemen; (46 people were injured.)

●  His face appears on a 1940 prison mugshot I believe taken in Russia; he was born in Belarus.

●  The Palestine Police Force placed him FIRST on its Most Wanted Men list, along with nine others being sought. Throughout the period of unrest, the British MI-5 placed a "dead or alive" bounty of £10,000 on his head.

●  During the 1950's, he was banned from entering the U.K. as the British Government regarded him as "leader of a the terrorist organization -----."

There is much much more but this will suffice and I do not wish to take advantage of Moderation's hospitality.

MY ONLY QUESTION IS:  WHO WAS THIS MAN?

Donald Trump?   Naw -- the mug shot would have been with Stalin....

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 3:50 PM, RWB said:

Donald Trump?   Naw -- the mug shot would have been with Stalin....

You're a good sport, Roger!  I am going to waive the wait period just for you.

That man, now deceased was none other than...

MENACHEM BEGIN, a former Prime Minister of Israel -- and leader of the Irgun.  Mass murderer? Terrorist? Most Wanted Fugitive? Convicted Felon? Ex-convict?  Yes, those things and many more, but also the Sixth Prime Minister of Israel.

Edit;  All of the foregoing facts, with a slew of additional sources, may be found by searching for "Menachem Begin," and the "King David Hotel Bombing" Wikipedia.

(I thank Moderation for allowing me to illustrate my point that there are many sides to a story.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.

On 5/16/2024 at 8:18 PM, RWB said:

If you refer to the real Farran Zerbe, better go back and learn some more about the slimy Zerbe -- there are good reasons ANA pulled his name from their "top" award. Treasury people privately blasted him as untrustworthy and a "screw-up" (my words) for ruining the PPIE coin and medal program. The beat goes on.... " :) Read RAC 1909-1915 for some of the letters before you spout off.

...and yet Farran will be long remembered in numismatic conversations long after many of our current "numismatic pundits" r long forgotten....

On 5/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, zadok said:

...and yet Farran will be long remembered in numismatic conversations long after many of our current "numismatic pundits" r long forgotten....

What you fail to take into consideration is the public's memory is fleeting with a short attention span. Cases in point: the two men and sixty some odd others who made transatlantic crossings in 1919 -- yet Lindberg's name is the only one remembered.  Quintus Arrius is a figment of someone's imagination on the numismatic forums of NGC and yet he (and his sidekick) who never existed in real life will be longer remembered than Farrah whose claim to fame is a single photo as a pin-up lady.    :)