• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This doesn't look right to me

7 posts in this topic

When I put the coin in the registry it shows up as the large eagle, not sure what to do.

Haven't had much luck in the past, main reason I don't do much with NGC any more. I don't really compete in their registry. Will likely just cross it over to PCGS.

On 5/17/2024 at 7:17 AM, ronday said:

Haven't had much luck in the past, main reason I don't do much with NGC any more. I don't really compete in their registry. Will likely just cross it over to PCGS.

It has been my experience that NGC will fix a problem like this at no cost to you usually very quickly.   Sending to PCGS will cost both time and money, but certainly your choice. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 10:23 AM, Coinbuf said:

It has been my experience that NGC will fix a problem like this at no cost to you usually very quickly.   Sending to PCGS will cost both time and money, but certainly your choice. 

The last time I sent a coin back (15 years ago) - It was over graded - and they were happy to slap a lower grade on it and send it back to me. Left me with a MS64 coin when I had purchased an MS66 on eBay. Their explanation for not honoring their guarantee was that it was a modern coin and not worth anything.  Same thing happened at PCGS and they sent me a properly graded coin in exchange for the misgraded coin. Since then I've either sold and bought new, or crossed over most of my collection. Could have just been bad luck on my part. PCGS seems to put more emphasis on the look of the coin vs just the technical grade (I know this is a generalization with lots of exceptions) and their registry makes a lot more sense and is more fun for me. I've kept my 1985 collection here, since none of the coins crossed and I really don't feel like trying to reproduce it, if I even could. I've just recently started collecting again after losing interest for over a decade. I submitted about 20 foreign coins here about 2 months ago that are still waiting to get into the grading pool that I plan to sell, not sure if the collecting bug will stick this time or not.

Along the same lines, I have two misgraded PCGS (mechanical errors), they sent me a FedEx label to return the coins and will ship them back to me (most likely a few months from now) on their dime. These coins were foreign coins worth less than $200 ea. Both companies grade millions of coins and mistakes happen all the time, tough business.

Edited by ronday