• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peru: 1965 gold 50 Soles de Oro

6 posts in this topic

Nice. Is this the "Liberty with black eye" variety? She has quite a welt under her left eye. :)

On 5/14/2024 at 11:08 AM, RWB said:

Nice. Is this the "Liberty with black eye" variety? She has quite a welt under her left eye. :)

But, but... the way she is seated, her left eye is impossible to view. Very lovely coin!  (In the future, I predict any such distractions shall be ameliorated with a technician wielding a laser.)

On 5/14/2024 at 11:08 AM, RWB said:

Hmm.  Some kind of die anomaly, perhaps?  Dunno.  The coin is not in hand yet, but when it is, I’ll have to check that out under a loupe.

I’m into this one for $1,705.72 after fees.  And spot is $1,636.96 as of this post.  Meaning I paid a premium of $68.76 over today’s spot.  (Too lazy to do the math- what sort of % premium is that?)

But I got a coin already NGC certified, with a mintage of only 23,000 pieces.  Sure, it’s the most common date for the type, but still a pretty small mintage compared to many modern bullion coins.

And I note that the NGC (Krause) priceguide lists this coin for $2,050 in MS65… and mine is an MS66- with only 8 pieces graded higher.  

(Not to mention it also has the sentimental value of being from my birthyear.)

So for me at least, it made a little more sense than some other random piece of bullion.  Though it likely doesn’t have huge potential for an increase in numismatic value beyond its bullion content, I do think it’s got a little more potential there than a basic modern bullion coin would.