• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Is this is a d over d only or does it have a little bit of doubling? I found this tonight wheat cent searching rolls. In the third picture that is above the nine in 1957 almost look like they try to punch it here first or is it just a damage mark?

PXL_20240512_035630636.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240512_035541126.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240512_035747140.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

PXL_20240512_040808267.NIGHT~2.jpg

PXL_20240512_035708935.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

PXL_20240512_035609703.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240512_035726404.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

Edited by AHORTON57
Wrong letter

Posted (edited)

Well it will be helpful to get some of the terminology correct.   The DOD (Department of Defense) is not all that concerned with coins.   A D over D mintmark is called an RPM (repunched mint mark) and is represented as D/D or referred to by the RPM # when writing about it.

Your coin looks to be a match for RPM-003, however, there are a number of RPM's for this date/mm and a few look very similar.   I suggest that you review the RPMs shown on Variety Vista to see if you agree with a match for RPM-003   NGC does attribute several of the 1957-D RPM's if that is a choice you are considering, however I do not think there is tremendous demand for them from collectors.

I do not see any true doubling, just some very minor and worthless strike doubling.   Your third photo looks to be a small stain of some type.

Edited by Coinbuf

Thanks sorry I was up late when I first wrote it was asking Double Die Obverse too with the RPM.  Yes I'll check it out. Started as a hobby with my son so still have a lot to learn. I usually look on copper coins but thank you for your answer and I'll check it out as well. Have a great day!

In future, please post real photos, not grainy screen grabs. Members need to see detail, not screen pixels.