• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 proof dime s over d
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Sorry, but I don't think that this is an "S over D", a variety not known to exist on a 1978-S proof dime. It appears to be the normal blobby "S" mintmark that resulted from a worn mintmark punch, as is commonly seen on proof and other "S" mintmark coins of the mid to late 1970s.  The deterioration of the punch led to the introduction of the thinner "type 2" "S" mintmark in 1979. 

If you still think that this is an overmintmark variety, please provide a better, less brightly lit image from your computer itself, not a screenshot. It is preferable to provide cropped images of each full side of the coin, as well as pertinent close-ups.

Posted (edited)

Look at the numerals, like the mm there is ghosting and shadows around them too.  I think what you are seeing is an effect of harsh lighting, far too much magnification along with the worn mm punch.

Edited by Coinbuf

Could also be from an over aggressive mint worker who struck the mm punch
too hard and the shoulder of the punch is showing.

Please post real photos, not a fizzy screen grab. They are useless.

On 5/10/2024 at 4:49 PM, RWB said:

Please post real photos, not a fizzy screen grab. They are useless.

Plop, plop, fuzz, fuzz, oh what a relief it was. 

Hey thanks for the responses I'm trying to figure a way to get a better Pic for you guys and gals. My phone won't really give me a decent shot.. do you think it may be best to send it in and have them grade it? What do you think

On 5/11/2024 at 9:01 AM, dsgonzin said:

do you think it may be best to send it in and have them grade it? What do you think

No

On 5/11/2024 at 12:01 PM, dsgonzin said:

do you think it may be best to send it in and have them grade it?

Absolutely not!  The NGC Price Guide lists a 1978-S dime in PF 69 UCAM, the highest grade you could realistically hope to receive, at $25. The current CPG Coin & Currency Market Review lists them only at $14 even in PF 70! The minimum grading fee alone would be $19 (modern coin tier), plus the $10 per order processing fee, minimum $28 per order return shipping fee, and your cost of shipping the coin to NGC.

If you meant to say that you want to try to get NGC to attribute this coin as an S over D overmintmark variety (additional $18 VarietyPlus fee), please be advised that NGC generally does not attribute varieties not listed on VarietyPlus, which this purported unknown variety isn't.  Although an exception would likely be made for a major discovery, it's fairly certain even from the photo you have provided that this coin isn't an overmintmark, which would look something like that on this 1954-S, S over D nickel (from VarietyPlus):

816140-1.jpg

If you want to try to provide better photos, (1) illuminate the coin using a lamp from the side instead of the overhead LEDs on your phone to reduce the glare and (2) if your phone is your only camera, save the images on your computer and post directly from your computer, not from photos of your screen. It's always somewhat difficult to image proof coins and coins in plastic holders.