• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your definition of a modern coin?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Q.A.:  But it's two, sometimes more against one.  Can't I weigh in?

🐓  :  No offense, but you're just not smart enough.  Besides if you were, you wouldn't have posted the question in the first place.

On 4/18/2024 at 8:47 PM, cladking said:

Even though debased coinage is USUALLY scarcer and often much scarcer than the coins they replace they usually sell for a small fraction of the price.  

Why would you think this is?  

Because of what I told you.  Your collecting parameters have no market relevance.  You are describing your preferences, not anyone else's. 

You should know that price is not primarily driven by scarcity and availability.    There are plenty of coins (mostly ancients) which are scarcer than anything you or I collect which sell for low or very low prices.  You should also know that virtually no one actually cares about your quality criteria, including you since you won't even pay for it above immaterial prices.

The price of the modern may be a small fraction.  It's still financially immaterial. The difference is usually equivalent from as little as the price of a pack of chewing gum to the cost of movie ticket, in the quality most collectors will accept.  It's not factor because hardly anyone evaluates voluntary consumption expense as you imply.  It's a hobby, not an "investment".

Edited by World Colonial

On 4/18/2024 at 9:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Because it is NOT in my plan to get ANY of my shillings handled by a TPGS (heck, I’ve DE-slabbed three), I am not working on gemmy coins, but rather coins as I prefer them, which is long on detail and luster, while tolerating a nick or three. See? My disdain for “technical grading” is complete and utter. 

Yes, that's my assumption but I wasn't asking if you planned to have it graded.  Just whether you were looking for the higher TPG equivalent quality.

On 4/28/2024 at 8:11 PM, RWB said:

One that's younger than me. ;)

I am afraid that is not possible. By your own admission, you date back to B.C., i.e. Before Coins. 🤣

On 4/26/2024 at 7:01 PM, World Colonial said:

Yes, that's my assumption but I wasn't asking if you planned to have it graded.  Just whether you were looking for the higher TPG equivalent quality.

For the dates in which I can find them, yes. I now have about 20 dupes.