• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a PCGS coin be reslabed to a NGC coin.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

For best attention, this topic would have been better posted on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum for an answer from the NGC staff or the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" or "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum for responses from other forum members.  

The answer to your question is, "yes, for a price." Go to NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com) and see "CrossOver" at the bottom of the list of "NGC Add-on Services".  If you are unfamiliar with submitting coins to NGC, you should also carefully review other pertinent portions of that page, as well as the other topics and forms under the "Submit" tab at the top of the page. You will have to sign a consent for NGC to remove the coin from the PCGS holder, with NGC asserting that it will use reasonable care but will not be liable for any resulting damage to the coin, so if you feel more comfortable "cracking out" the coin yourself, you can do so and submit the coin in the usual way.

Note that just submitting this one coin will require payment of the $10 per order processing fee and $28 minimum per order return shipping fee, in addition to the grading fee for the appropriate tier, so if you are determined to "cross" this coin, it might be more cost effective to submit it with other coins or submit it through a dealer NGC member. 

I want to submit the PCGS coin below to NGS for crossover. I believe it is a wide rim that PCGS did not recognize as such. Assuming I'm correct and PCGS is wrong, will NGC change it to a wide rim?  Or will they only grade it for how it is slabbed (as a non wide rim)?  Also, what do others think?  Is is a wide rim?

image.thumb.jpeg.533f5d14cf88748529b02a5c89edb0c2.jpeg

@tklein--Welcome to the NGC chat board. In the future, please start a new topic instead of posting a new question about your own coin on someone else's old topic.  Your question will be more accessible to users of the forum, and you, instead of the original topic author, will receive an e-mail indicating replies to your topic.

Your 1979-P SBA dollar does appear to be the "wide rim" or "near date" variety. It is likely that PCGS didn't attribute it as such because the submitter didn't indicate that it was this variety and used the PCGS code for the common "narrow rim" variety, which isn't designated (#9571), instead of the code for the "wide rim" variety (#99571).  

NGC charges an $18 "VarietyPlus" fee to attribute most varieties but, fortunately, not this one. See Anthony Dollars (1979-1999) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  However, you would have to designate the variety on the NGC submission form and pay the full grading fee for the appropriate tier (presumably the $19 Modern tier) for the "Crossover" service referred to above as well as the related processing and shipping fees totaling $38. There would be no guarantee that NGC would agree with the PCGS grade, which could be lower or higher.  As PCGS already graded the coin, you might want to check whether PCGS could make the attribution without charging the grading fee again.

On 5/14/2024 at 8:43 PM, tklein said:

I want to submit the PCGS coin below to NGS for crossover. I believe it is a wide rim that PCGS did not recognize as such. Assuming I'm correct and PCGS is wrong, will NGC change it to a wide rim?  Or will they only grade it for how it is slabbed (as a non wide rim)?  Also, what do others think?  Is is a wide rim?

image.thumb.jpeg.533f5d14cf88748529b02a5c89edb0c2.jpeg

You can buy a NGC MS64 wide rim on ebay for $49 with free shipping, I'm having a hard time understanding why it would be worth the cost to cross this coin over. If you sold the PCGS coin and bought the NGC you would probably be saving $'s.

Thank you for your reply.

I did indicate that it was a wide rim when I submitted it, and I was shocked when it came back without wide rim. I went back to PCGS and I asked them to look into it.  They said "Looking over the information, it looks like our graders confirmed it was not a wide rim coin. I understand it can be upsetting that your items did not receive the result you were hoping for, and I do apologize."  So part of me just wants to prove them wrong.

I also think it's a better grade than an MS64.  I have a 66 and 67 and it looks to be in the same tier.

If it crosses over to NGC, will I be able to demonstrate the pedigree of the previous PCGS slab to the new NGC slab?  In other words will there be something I can show that says the same coin went from a non-wide rim label to a new wide rim label?