• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 silver half dollar
1 1

4 posts in this topic

2024-2-318-37-27.thumb.jpg.f0ee521b010e8f3dc64795e73f2e52b0.jpg2024-2-318-15-2.thumb.jpg.08d0504ed54690ee16ea161f31a7cb69.jpg2024-2-318-14-28.thumb.jpg.50bad82d07f435bde94321a937762684.jpgHi,

I posted in the question forum but no one has really looked and no one responded 

I.have what appears to be a.1971 silver half dollar.  However, it has no mint mark: ,all the info i have found for 1971 silver half dollars.are.for 1971-D

Were there any that do not bear a mint mark?

This coin has the telltale silver "ring"..

Can anyone help me figure out what i have? (Pics attached)

Welcome to the forum. Just a normal clad half dollar, I can see the copper core on the edge. The copper appears to be on the left side as the coin is pictured, sometimes it doesn't look like it is in the center due to the way the metal shears when the blank is punched out.

Edited by l.cutler

You likely have a normal 1971 copper-nickel clad half dollar with no mintmark since it's from the Philadelphia (P) mint.  See the following link for your coin ... https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/half-dollars/kennedy-half-dollars-1964-date/16716/1971-50c-ms/

There were a handful of 1971-D half dollars struck in Denver on left over 40% silver clad planchets used up to 1970 which are an error coin some collectors look for.  There are a few who have posted over the years with similar looking coins thinking they found one of these errors, but they turned out to be normal copper-nickel clad coins.

The edge or your coin may have a lighter more silver-like color from the blanking and upsetting combined with wear, but the signs of a copper core are there.  If you do a specific gravity test or take it to a coin or jewelry shop with an XRF tester they can likely verify it's just a clad coin for you.  Also, your coin is not from the Denver mint assuming you are correct that there is no mintmark just below the neckline.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/5/2024 at 1:20 AM, CrzyDiamond said:

I.have what appears to be a.1971 silver half dollar.  However, it has no mint mark: ,all the info i have found for 1971 silver half dollars. are.for 1971-D

Were there any that do not bear a mint mark?

To the contrary, the Philadelphia mint produced a reported 155,164,000 1971 half dollars without mint marks. The Denver mint produced a reported 302,097,424 pieces with the "D" mint mark. Your coin was damaged in the area where the mint mark would have been as well as circulated. The brown rim indicates that the coin is the normal copper-nickel clad alloy with a copper core. It has no collector value. (If you thought the coin had any such value, you should not touch it with your bare fingers, except by its edges if you must.)

To obtain accurate information about U.S. coins, you should acquire a current (2024, 2025 edition expected in or about April) of A Guide Book of United States Coins, commonly known as the "Red Book". It is available from its publisher at whitman.com and at some booksellers. You can also obtain information at PCGS Coinfacts (https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts) or the NGC Coin Explorer (Online Coin Catalog Search Page - Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Edited by Sandon
correct typo