• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much information do you require before you make a decision to buy a coin?
1 1

63 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2024 at 8:27 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

.... It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done;
It's a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known.
Ronald Colman

At my age, keeping life simple is reward enough:  far, far better.

🐓:  Well, well...  Say Q, look who's stealing your thunder! Shades of Francois Villon and "If I Were King" (1938).

Q.A.:  WOW!  I take it you've checked out my resurrected set out West, and New User Name. 🤣

Your point is well taken.  One of the things I inadvertently stumbled upon when my other F20F/GR Set was deconstructed was the revelation that the gentleman who trailed me by two points, was a phantom and no threat.  He had simply neglected to retire his set. To overtake me now, every oncomer would have to acquire AND upgrade every coin in the 16-coin series, and virtually start afresh from scratch. I do not perceive a credible threat in that regard. They are nowhere near the Clubhouse turn and I am practically at the Finish Line. That collector would have to have the time and resources to devote to the effort.

You've done very well for yourself and your reasoning is sound. I believe I am still in the Top Ten here and that's fine with me. No sense in climbing Everest twice.  (thumbsu

How much info do I need?  Lets see...

1. Is the coin for sale

2. Do I need the coin for one of my sets

3. Do I find the condition and grade pleasing and fitting in with the rest of the set

4. Is the price what I think it should be

5. do I have the funds in budget for said coin

A no to any of these then I do not buy the coin.

Simple really

Posted (edited)
On 1/20/2024 at 11:56 AM, VKurtB said:

..... Henri’s are a different kind of unique. He almost doesn’t care what a coin looks like. As long as it has the right shape of ink on that little paper tag of the correct color, he’s happy.

I do not ordinarily put my foot down, but there was one notable instance when I did:  I unilaterally decided an encapsulated F20F/GR did not meet the qualifications to qualify for MS-67 status.  How could I do that?  I owned several and, to borrow Sandon's term, instantaneously determined it did NOT, meet the "surface preservation" required of that grade (this after it was rejected for cross-grade.) I dove back into cyberspace to re-examine it. NO GO!

1910 F20FGR MS67. THE CERT # NGC 607729-005.  

To this day, and for years thereafter, the 1910 slot remains empty. No one dared wag his tongue in noise so rude against me! My remittance was returned. (I failed to rinse the stars from my eyes and view the coin objectively and dispassionately.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing