• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What foreign coin weighs about 2.83 grams ? .
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I ask this question. Because I know the U.S. Mint made coins for other countries up until the 1980's . And I recently found a 1942 S Lincoln Wheat Cent. That weighs exactly 2.83 grams. And is not magnetic. And is the exact same size as another Lincoln Wheat Cent.  And my scale is very accurate. And is calibrated exactly. I have checked many times. 

IMG_20240112_190730473_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240112_190914185_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240112_190923990_HDR.jpg

I don't think there were any foreign "copper" (bronze or brass) coins struck at the San Francisco mint in 1942 that had about the same diameter as the cent and that 2.8g weight.  The coin appears to be struck on a planchet with the correct diameter so if that 2.82g weight is a calibrated accurate weight your coin was likely damaged or struck on a blank cut from a thin part of a coil.

Note: A rare 1942 cent struck on a wrong foreign coin planchet error with only a slightly larger diameter you may be looking for weighed significantly more than a normal cent and was struck in Philly.  Other foreign "copper" coins struck by the mint in 1942 were smaller and/or weighed significantly less than a cent.

Edited by EagleRJO

What foreign coin weighs about 2.83 grams ? .

Doesn't look like there was one at the time in Denver. I agree that the coin looks to have been exposed to some type of corrosive substance which ate away the surface reducing the weight. 

That pebbly texture is a sure sign of acid reduction, a mild acid like acid used for swimming pools can do this.