• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 US Liberty Quarter Dollar-Marriage?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, what lead you to phrase your question; "1966 US Liberty Quarter Dollar-Marriage?"  in this way.   In other words why would you be asking about a die marriage on a common coin with a production of millions of coins?

As has been noted by the gents above both of these coins are very common and both in well circulated condition.   The quarter is worth its face value, if you have a quantity (200 or more) of the Lincoln cents with the wheat back reverse, many dealers will pay 2 to 3 cents each for the value of the copper in each coin.

On 01.12.2023 at 18:00, Coinbuf said:

Добро пожаловать на форум, что побудило вас сформулировать свой вопрос; "Брак за четверть доллара свободы США 1966 года?" таким образом. Другими словами, почему вы спрашиваете о браке штампа на обычной монете при производстве миллионов монет?

Как уже отмечалось выше, обе эти монеты очень распространены и находятся в хорошем состоянии. Четверть стоит своей номинальной стоимости: если у вас есть определенное количество (200 или более) центов Линкольна с обратной стороной пшеницы, многие дилеры заплатят от 2 до 3 центов за стоимость меди в каждой монете.

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. By mistake I thought that the inverted obverse was a defect. I apologize for this oversight. Sincerely.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, Yunk said:

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. By mistake I thought that the inverted obverse was a defect. I apologize for this oversight. Sincerely.

A very valid explanation, all good.  :smile:

I think that the term you wanted to use in your title was "die rotation", not "marriage".

U.S. coins are supposed to be struck in a "coin turn" in which when one side faces up while the other is upside down, so the dies were oriented 180 degrees apart. Most coins of other countries are struck in a "medal turn" in which each side is upright at the same time.  Your photos show that the 1966 quarter was struck in its normal "coin turn" orientation.  U.S. coins with a substantial improper die rotation, varying from about 90 degrees (right angle) to a full "medal turn" may be worth a premium and are more common on nineteenth century pieces. (I understand that NGC will attribute die rotations of at least 15 degrees.) They are sometimes faked by cutting coins in two edgewise and bonding the pieces together in a different orientation.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:09 AM, Yunk said:

25.jpeg

On 12/1/2023 at 12:48 PM, Yunk said:

By mistake I thought that the inverted obverse was a defect. I apologize for this oversight.

No problem.  As noted there is nothing special about the cent or quarter, and the quarter just has a minor rotated die.  The rotation appears to be less than 15 degrees from the photo, which is the threshold for NGC to consider that to be an error.  You can read more about "rotated dies" by searching the board for that term as there have been numerous topics about that.  Also, if you want to learn more about coins and collecting them start with the following linked topics:

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary/

On 01.12.2023 at 23:58, EagleRJO said:

Без проблем. Как уже отмечалось, в центе или четвертаке нет ничего особенного, а в четвертаке просто есть второстепенный вращающийся кубик. Судя по фотографии, поворот составляет менее 15 градусов, что является порогом, по которому NGC может считать это ошибкой. Вы можете узнать больше о «повернутых кубиках», выполнив поиск по этому термину на доске, поскольку по этому поводу было множество тем. Кроме того, если вы хотите узнать больше о монетах и их коллекционировании, начните со следующих связанных тем:

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary/

Thank you, this is very informative for beginners. Let's study.

On 02.12.2023 at 00:15, Yunk said:

Спасибо, очень познавательно для новичков. Давай учиться.

I have six blisters containing twenty coins each. Can I post a photo of them here for evaluation? Best regards, Sergei

Please post a separate topic about each coin about which you have questions and include clear photos of each side of the coin. If these are United States coins, you might want to first try to identify them on an online guide such as the NGC Coin Explorer, Online Coin Catalog Search Page - Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com).