• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cert of Authenticity by The Washington Mint Helpful?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

My Dad gave me a few coins, one of which is "1997 China Mascot Unicorn Kirin Silver 10 yuan Ag.999 1oz Coin" that has a Certificate of Authenticity by The Washington Mint. Does that mean that The Washington Mint "certified" the coin or is that something that only happens through coin examination by organizations such as NGC? Does The Washington Mint Authenticity help get a better price for a coin? (Sorry, new to all of this)

Edited by bobriensan
I think I should have posted this in Newbie Forum, trying to delete here

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I understand that "The Washington Mint" is a mass marketer of so-called "collector's items" that are usually of little interest to serious numismatists. The company's "certificate" accompanies items that the company is selling.   It is not a third-party grading service such as NGC, PCGS, or ANACS that examines coins that belong to others, does not buy or sell coins, and provides a purportedly unbiased expert opinion as to the items' authenticity and condition. 

Without clear, cropped photos of each side of the coin, we can't tell whether it is a coin that was actually produced by or with the authorization of the Chinese government or is some sort of "reproduction" or privately manufactured or issued "collector's item".

Additionally, please note that the NGC Registry forum is dedicated to topics pertaining to the NGC coin registry. Your topic should have been posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

Edited by Sandon
noticed topic posted in wrong forum

Thank you for your clear answer. I've attached a cropped front/back. Can you tell anything by looking at them? My Dad was not a serious coin collector, so he probably purchased them from a tv or magazine ad.

crop_front.jpg

crop_back.jpg

I don't collect these, but the NGC World Coin Price Guide identifies this as an actual Chinese non-circulating legal tender issue that was issued in both "proof" and "proof like" finishes, with the proof version having a higher list value. China - People'S Republic 10 Yuan KM 1031 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). I can't tell which finish this is. The certificate or other documentation that accompanied the coin might say.

You may find it difficult to find a buyer who would be willing to pay more than the bullion value of this coin (currently in the $22-23 range), as there usually isn't too much of a market for these items.