• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daniel Carr Madison County Coin Club Medal
1 1

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

You can absolutely TRUST ME on this: At the Madison County Coin Club of Huntsville, Alabama, the opinions of Roger W. Burdette, aka  @RWB, counts for LESS THAN ZERO. He is not well thought of there. Just get the founder of the club talking about Roger, as I did at the Colorado Springs ANA show in March, and just wait for the vitriol to boil forth. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 9:43 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I think its really poor etiquette to hawk junk in a forum dedicated to real coin collecting. I'm glad the club exists but the attempt to "hype" junk is not well received. This should have been posted in Coins for Sale where nobody would care or see it.

The Madison County Coin Club has done a lot in promoting numismatics in their area. What have you done for numismatics ?

I think they deserve a pass here, especially since they are a non-profit education-oriented organization.

Edited by dcarr

A counterfeit is a counterfeit -- even if made by someone with the talent of a 5th grader.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:49 PM, RWB said:

A counterfeit is a counterfeit -- even if made by someone with the talent of a 5th grader.

And the ANA Board of Governors disagrees with your charge of Carr making counterfeits. So there’s that.

To the positive side, one must admit that Mr. Carr's Madison County Coin Club medal is certainly near the apex of a typical 10-year old 5th grader's artistic skill. So, in that respect Mr. Carr is evidently at the "top of his game." :)

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 4:18 PM, RWB said:

To the positive side, one must admit that Mr. Carr's Madison County Coin Club medal is certainly near the apex of a typical 10-year old 5th grader's artistic skill. So, in that respect Mr. Carr is evidently at the "top of his game." :)

The design was approved by the club membership, sir, with instructions beforehand to reprise a past successful club medal design. The club has a long history of producing medals with an actual U.S. coin design surrounded by a ring of text.

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 2:49 PM, RWB said:

On 5/14/2024 at 3:18 PM, RWB said:

Here are some things you wrote on another forum in 2008 and 2010. I'm not sure what prompted the change in attitude, but by June 2010 it started to get ugly.

PS:
The reason I still have this is due to the complaint you filed against me with the ANA. At the time, I had to document all aspects of the situation (I still have that documentation on an older computer drive). The ANA dismissed the complaint without holding a final hearing.

burdette_posts.jpg

Edited by dcarr

@dcarr Ok I'll give you a chance. Post a coin or medal you have minted with your OWN design with no basis in/on ANY US coin design. If you can show me your own proprietary art incorporated in ANY medal you make, I will honestly evaluate it like any other coin or medal. I may like it. I may not.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:47 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

@dcarr Ok I'll give you a chance. Post a coin or medal you have minted with your OWN design with no basis in/on ANY US coin design. If you can show me your own proprietary art incorporated in ANY medal you make, I will honestly evaluate it like any other coin or medal. I may like it. I may not.

Ok, fair enough.

Here are some. All of these were entirely my own products and not commissioned:

cg_2024_60_pl.jpg

lesher_2023_Cu_quad_bw.jpg

cg_2023_60_an.jpg

stairs_bz_obv.jpg

bar_3_C_mar_2019_obv.jpg

dog_Ag.jpg

eclipse_2017_A.jpg

plaque_fa_09.jpg

cob_1715_2A_2.jpg

tc_2015_all.jpg

bar_1_cg_05-2015.jpg

plaque_defiance.jpg

ht_kc_Cu_all.jpg

Not to become involved in this debate, but you could compare the above designs to the below submission and see which you like better.

IMG_6128.jpeg

On 5/15/2024 at 6:50 AM, Zebo said:

Not to become involved in this debate, but you could compare the above designs to the below submission and see which you like better.

IMG_6128.jpeg

I don't remember, has this design been greenlit by the U.S. Mint or is it still under consideration?

@dcarr Ok thank you for posting your work. I enjoyed the medals. The funny ones are great. I can appreciate your original pieces. However, I'm still not a fan of the semi copy restrikes. The medals are well made and have a certain style to them that is unique. Thank you for your efforts. I like your owl design. I now see some redeeming value in your work. Cheers 

On 5/15/2024 at 7:23 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I don't remember, has this design been greenlit by the U.S. Mint or is it still under consideration?

I think it was recommended by the committee, but may not have been approved by the mint,