• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So now Artificial Intelligence designing. Coins?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Dan Carr never fails to incite.  Personally, I am on the fence on his work.  It is high quality and beautiful if you are into that kind of stuff.  But, I can also see how it upsets people.  It is not, nor will ever be my focus... so I don't pay him much mind.

Back to the topic of AI... I would be interested to see how the AI changes its designs over time as it "learns".  This is the core difference between other technology assisted services, they do not learn as they go.  So, while I made the comment about AI coin designs being recognizable as such - do we think we will ever get to the point where the AI is designing coins that are superior?  Can they get the relief just right?  Can they look/feel more "human" over time?  Time will tell I suppose. 

Note:  I work with AI all the time, but more within the context of medical data.  From a medical standpoint, I am very bullish on what these technologies can/will do.  However, I have no experience with the "artsy" aspects of AI.

His “original designs” are not really my cup o’ tea. He calls them art deco. I’m not so sure. I have one of his “Amero” series coins. Not artistically compelling. But the best part was the wing nuts who lost their minds over the joke of an Amero coinage to parallel the Euro. The conspiracy nuts went ballistic.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Dan Carr never fails to incite.  Personally, I am on the fence on his work.  It is high quality and beautiful if you are into that kind of stuff.  But, I can also see how it upsets people.  It is not, nor will ever be my focus... so I don't pay him much mind.

Back to the topic of AI... I would be interested to see how the AI changes its designs over time as it "learns".  This is the core difference between other technology assisted services, they do not learn as they go.  So, while I made the comment about AI coin designs being recognizable as such - do we think we will ever get to the point where the AI is designing coins that are superior?  Can they get the relief just right?  Can they look/feel more "human" over time?  Time will tell I suppose. 

Note:  I work with AI all the time, but more within the context of medical data.  From a medical standpoint, I am very bullish on what these technologies can/will do.  However, I have no experience with the "artsy" aspects of AI.

The medical AI scares me to death. Even my primary care physician talks it down. Maybe he’ll be attacked for spreading disinformation. My Alabama PCP was fine with COVID vaccines. My Pennsylvania PCP told me to stay away from it. My bosses REQUIRED it. I went and retired rather than go against medical advice. I ended up with 3 jabs in Alabama, but no more. Not now. Not ever. Not under any circumstances. My Alabama PCP now admits he was conned. The medical industry has richly deserved the mistrust they have spawned. “Public health authorities” will never be believed again in my lifetime, and they have no one to blame but themselves. 

Edited by VKurtB

Folks are never going to agree on some of the works of Mr Carr. The opinions are very strong on both sides of the issue. Both sides take it too far at times and it turns into a nasty mess of opinions. Many important people in the hobby will no even talk about the topic. It's not worth the risk of taking sides and upsetting others. Some could not care less while others have a financial interest in the product. Some bring up the topic just for the fun of starting fights. 

I worry that many others now feel they have an open ticket to do most anything they want. There is no question that China is much more of a problem to our hobby and we have no way to fight it. 

On 9/15/2023 at 7:51 AM, ldhair said:

There is no question that China is much more of a problem to our hobby and we have no way to fight it. 

Completely agree, and I wish more would focus on that.  I also wonder if AI could somehow be used to help fight that.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:14 AM, EagleRJO said:

Completely agree, and I wish more would focus on that.  I also wonder if AI could somehow be used to help fight that.

Maybe. Someday. Not real soon though.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:21 AM, powermad5000 said:

I have many issues with AI technology. It is going to be used improperly for certain. It is already creating its own artwork and there was a group of artists that sued the AI company that fed their data into it while it produced artwork from the original artists that ended up being sold. It has written papers for college students. It has caused teachers already to change how their testing is being done because of widespread "cheating". It is even able to hack passwords with 95% accuracy. Wondering when it will be wrongly used to drain bank accounts.

Here is it being used to create a coin. Can it be used to counterfeit already struck US Mint specimens? Probably. I am mixed on what AI came up with in this creation. I am impressed by all the different design elements all put into the space leaving basically no clean fields on either side of the coin, but also kind of starting to belly heave at the "too busy" design as well as the attempt to make it a hybrid of human touch and computer power. I can embrace a human being and feel its touch. I cannot feel the same touch from a plastic keyboard. I have no desire to buy anything like this even in bullion form. Reminds me also of cryptocurrency which I abhor. Just look how fast the artificial intelligence brain is growing. He's already doing a lot. I recently read about ai based lms, found https://ddi-dev.com/blog/programming/ai-based-lms-a-comparative-analysis-of-ai-powered-learning-platforms/ for this. This is just the beginning and this should already alarm people. It can reach such a peak when a person can no longer stop and control it.

Everything is ahead, I don’t think it will end with a good story.

Edited by kevinhamiltongsk