• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint HQ checking on cotton speculation 1893

3 posts in this topic

August 10, 1893

Hernan D. Money, Esq.

Mint of the United States

New Orleans, La.

Sir:

Having been appointed an Assistant to represent this Bureau in the storage of silver purchased for delivery at the New Orleans Mint, I have to state that your first duties will be to witness the weighing of the bars upon their receipt, and enter the same in a book for that purpose. The entries should show the gross weight of the bar, then fineness as reported by the Assayer, and the net weight, each bar being numbered.

The Superintendent will also have a representative, to act in conjunction with you. Outside of this, you will be subject to the orders of the Superintendent, and will perform any clerical duties that may be required of you.

When your time in not fully occupied at the Mint, it is my desire that you shall, in a quiet and unobtrusive manner, endeavor to obtain evidence of the speculation in cotton, etc., by the late Cashier, J. M. Dowling. Of course you will have to be very careful in this matter.

Respectfully yours,

R. E. Preston, Acting Director of the Mint

While not at the level requiring classification or advisories, e.g., EYES ONLY! or PERSONAL & CONFIDENTIAL, I feel this matter could have been more appropriately handled via PM. 🤣