• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

posting etiquette
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I have several coins that are most likely after mint marks.  May I post them in one post with the pictures numbered, so people can reply according to the number/pic.  example:  1. after mint  2.  after mint  3. cud error 4. vandalism 5.....etc?

Chris

Edited by abcd43130
mispelled etiquette

It is best to post each coin on it’s own thread with the proper heading.  
This will avoid confusion. Post a clear photo of each side of the coin. 
with a closeup of the area of concern and state what specifically what   
your question is.  Looking forward to your photos ( we like pictures here)

The word is "etiquette".  It is generally better to ask about only one coin per topic, with the topic title identifying the coin by issue or question. For more complete guidance on posting questions on this forum, please review the following topic:

On 8/14/2023 at 6:50 AM, abcd43130 said:

I have several coins that are most likely after mint marks.  May I post them in one post with the pictures numbered, so people can reply according to the number/pic.  example:  1. after mint  2.  after mint  3. cud error 4. vandalism 5.....etc?

Chris

The problem with that is if the thread gets longer, no one wants to keep scrolling all the way up to pick out which coin they're talking about. People like me, who have very quick 'don't bother' thresholds, simply close it and let someone else deal with it. So you get more help, more quickly, if you create separate threads.

Also, your wife's right. Truth with the bark on: You're about to learn that a lot of what you think are valuable errors are just damaged or defective (in ways that add no value). You will have achieved a great deal if you find a single piece worth $10. So instead of thinking this might be the coin that hits the big one, think none of them are worth more than face, and seek to learn how to eliminate damaged and defective coins from your consideration. Trust us: If you have one that's really a valuable error, we will say so. It gets really fatiguing breaking the news to people that their coins aren't special, and someone with their hopes way up makes it harder. But go ahead and post them by all means; the clearer and sharper the photos, the easier it will be to explain why if there were that much free money rolling around in the currency system, more people would be doing this. You'll learn what is and what isn't.

From 1-cent to 10-cents is more realistic...  :)

Also, what is your meaning of "after mint marks" ?

On 8/14/2023 at 7:45 AM, abcd43130 said:

I was joking about the "big money" find.  A $10 find would be a jackpot in my book :)

Chris

Good. As you can tell, we get a lot of people who aren't joking about it at all, and sincerely believe they are about to be able to retire early.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:12 PM, JKK said:

Good. As you can tell, we get a lot of people who aren't joking about it at all, and sincerely believe they are about to be able to retire early.

I retired early; about five months early, according to the Social Security Administration. Of course, it had nothing to do with any coins. It had to do with the stupid politics of high seniority likely committee chairs in the PA House of Reps.

RE: "posting ediquite"

Uhmmmm.... What's an "ediquite"? Is it an edible "quite," or possibly a "quiet eddy" in a river, or is it a new fruit hybrid of banana, agave tequilana and pineapple that's not quite eatable or drinkable?

Ahhhh -- I've got it! It's the latest special title given to coins that are not quite as good as the next level of "goodness" such as "Gem Ediquite Mint State 45"?

;)

Edited by RWB