• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Coin I can’t find any information on

4 posts in this topic

My Aunt has what looks like a 1944 w Mercury dime obverse with a wheat penny back. It’s not thick like some of the fake ones, it’s light and thin.

Any information or where I can get info on this would be appreciated.

Pics attached.

Thanks TomIMG_4473.thumb.jpeg.37899670022dd2a91dd828b85d8c7f35.jpegIMG_4473.thumb.jpeg.37899670022dd2a91dd828b85d8c7f35.jpegIMG_4474.thumb.jpeg.58f469eec4519614f29b87c2832d9787.jpeg

Edited by TomPl
Title edit

Welcome to the NGC chat board. In the future, please post questions about coins on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, as this question is for matters relating to the NGC Registry.

What you have is known as a "magician's coin" which is created outside of the mint by cutting two different coins in half and fastening the two different halves together for the purpose of performing tricks. The insides are often hollowed out. In this case the edge of the cent was also shaved so that it would have the same diameter as the dime.