• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Camper - Garrett

36 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2023 at 10:42 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'd like to think that while they are entitled to make $$$ and there is nothing wrong with that....they are also numismatists who feel a fiduciary obligation to help our hobby and spread their knowledge among our community and others. (thumbsu

I assume someone like Garrett is actually interested in true collecting, but it's a distant second to the business side.  Read his and other articles on Coin Week.  

The problem is trying to make what is usually actually uninteresting appear interesting.  They are still more interested in inflating the price level than actual collecting, and at some point, the cost of buying these coins exceeds the appeal as a collectible which is why it turns into marketing.

On 7/4/2023 at 10:42 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

they are also numismatists who feel a fiduciary obligation to help our hobby and spread their knowledge among our community and others.

What? Not one does that except to their own benefit. And -- there is certainly no "fiduciary obligation."

On 7/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, RWB said:

What? Not one does that except to their own benefit. And -- there is certainly no "fiduciary obligation."

You're employing a double-negative (sort of).  Like in, "A Piece Of The Action" from STAR TREK xD:

Dr. McCoy : We're trying to help you, Oxmyx.

Bela Oxmyx : Nobody helps nobody but himself.

Spock : Sir, you are employing a double negative.  xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, World Colonial said:

I assume someone like Garrett is actually interested in true collecting, but it's a distant second to the business side.  Read his and other articles on Coin Week.  The problem is trying to make what is usually actually uninteresting appear interesting.  They are still more interested in inflating the price level than actual collecting, and at some point, the cost of buying these coins exceeds the appeal as a collectible which is why it turns into marketing.

I'm really just asking that they "fill-in-the-blanks" with regards to hoards and finds that they come across.  I certainly understand the need for discretion when they are trying to market them, but years or decades later, critical details on some famous hoards continue to be missing.

Ironically, the most details seem to have been given by the most crooked of the gold finders, SSCA's Tommy Thompson. :o

On 7/5/2023 at 1:45 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm really just asking that they "fill-in-the-blanks" with regards to hoards and finds that they come across.  I certainly understand the need for discretion when they are trying to market them, but years or decades later, critical details on some famous hoards continue to be missing.

Ironically, the most details seem to have been given by the most crooked of the gold finders, SSCA's Tommy Thompson. :o

...the longer one keeps the water muddy the longer the resale values remain high, not all hoard or trove coins r placed on the market immediately, im sure significant amounts r held back for resale at later dates...for example, if i found a can or cigar box with ten 1822 $5 gold pieces i guarantee u that no one but me would ever know how many were in that can or box n my family would still be selling them 50 years from now....

On 6/23/2023 at 8:37 PM, RWB said:

We don't know enough about the find and its contents to learn anything useful. (Each coin came from someplace else. What are the known trade routes to the find area. How far did each coin have to travel from its Mint? Etc. etc.

Did they offer frequent wagon rider miles in the 19th century?