• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Know Why You Collect What You Collect?
1 1

93 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2023 at 2:16 PM, World Colonial said:

Never really answered the question of this topic.  Here are some reasons why I collect what I do versus something else:

One: When I resumed collecting in 1998, I declined to collect US coinage due to the relative price level.  The price level was much lower but so was my budget.  My financial resources have increased as my work career progressed but not necessarily faster than the price level for potential interests in US coinage.

Two: Too many coins are overpriced based upon any sensible evaluation of the collectible merits.  US coins are the most overpriced but not the only ones.

Three: With the internet, the vast majority of coins are too easy to buy and there is no challenge to it.  No, collecting by TPG label, CAC stickers, US invented specializations, or some other narrow criteria doesn't change it for me.

Four: My interest in a particular coin or series increases or decreases inversely to the price level, as I don't buy coins for "investment".  I dumped most of my South Africa collection for this reason (after prices rose substantially) and wished I sold most of what remains.

Five: I'm not interested in collecting "downward" with my primary collecting interest.  This is subjective but it's definitely tangible.  This varies by collector, but it is evident collectors think in this context generally.

Six: I don't actively buy for my "side" collections, much less add a new one.  I'll probably never complete my primary interest and regular buying for secondary interests or impulse purchases reduces my budget for my pillar collection.

Seven: I'm not interested in losing money on coins I don't like enough.  There are coins I used to own (since sold) which aren't very marketable.

...can definitely identify with ur reasons, especially on the US prices n preoccupation of creating specialty markets...i used to try to collect what everybody else wasnt collecting, but then everyone started collecting what i was collecting...the side collections often provide the most fun n challenges....

On 8/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, zadok said:

...can definitely identify with ur reasons, especially on the US prices n preoccupation of creating specialty markets...i used to try to collect what everybody else wasnt collecting, but then everyone started collecting what i was collecting...the side collections often provide the most fun n challenges....

When I no longer work and assuming I am where I plan to be financially, I'll possibly change my perspective somewhat.

For new "side collections", I'd be open to it at some point if I had access to buy it in person instead of on-line.  I'd need to attend more coin shows which I can't now for personal reasons and wouldn't anyway if it came at the expense of my current coin budget.  This is to buy lower priced quality world coinage not in a TPG holder which I can inspect personally.

On 8/9/2023 at 3:43 PM, World Colonial said:

When I no longer work and assuming I am where I plan to be financially, I'll possibly change my perspective somewhat.

For new "side collections", I'd be open to it at some point if I had access to buy it in person instead of on-line.  I'd need to attend more coin shows which I can't now for personal reasons and wouldn't anyway if it came at the expense of my current coin budget.  This is to buy lower priced quality world coinage not in a TPG holder which I can inspect personally.

...lower priced quality = under the radar sleepers....