• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MS VS PR GRADING
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Good morning!

i have a quick question... again lol.  So I know the difference between Mint State and Proof.  the exception i have is the silver Eisenhower dollar.  When i go to the pricing guides.  I see the 1973-s Silver Ike dollar in the MS and PR designation.  so my question is, when I have a coin like this, there are both 1973-S, what makes the grading PR vs MS and vice versa.  There is a huge difference in the value so I am not sure, since it is an S, how it gets an MS grade?

When you have a question like this, the first thing you should do is consult A Guide Book of United States Coins, popularly known as the "Redbook". If you don't have one, you can get the current edition (2024) from its publisher at whitman.com or likely from other sources such as amosadvantage.com. This book is essential for basic facts about U.S. coins.

1973-S Eisenhower dollars were made in three formats, all for sale to collectors.

1.  Copper-nickel clad proofs were included in 1973 proof sets that had a distribution of 2,760,339 sets. The mint sold these proof sets for $7 each. This was the first proof set to include an Eisenhower dollar.

2.  Silver clad (40% net silver content) proofs were sold separately for $10 each and had a distribution of 1,013,646 pieces. They were packaged in hard plastic holders in a brown box with a red velvet lining.  They had the lowest distribution of the silver proofs made from 1971-74 and for a few years thereafter were considered to be "low mintage". At one time they sold for as much as $200!  Nowadays nice ones retail for about $25-$35 in the original packaging.

3. Silver clad circulation quality (uncirculated or "MS") pieces were sold by the mint in soft plastic wrappers enclosed in a dark blue envelope for $3 each, with a distribution of 1,883,140 pieces. Unlike the proofs, which have mirror surfaces and usually have frosted devices and lettering, they have normal frosty or matte-like luster without contrast between the fields and devices. They were not as carefully handled as the proofs and may have bagmarks or other abrasions as usually found on coins made for circulation.  Pieces that receive very high grades from grading services sell for a premium.

On 6/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, Sandon said:

When you have a question like this, the first thing you should do is consult A Guide Book of United States Coins, popularly known as the "Redbook". If you don't have one, you can get the current edition (2024) from its publisher at whitman.com or likely from other sources such as amosadvantage.com. This book is essential for basic facts about U.S. coins.

1973-S Eisenhower dollars were made in three formats, all for sale to collectors.

1.  Copper-nickel clad proofs were included in 1973 proof sets that had a distribution of 2,760,339 sets. The mint sold these proof sets for $7 each. This was the first proof set to include an Eisenhower dollar.

2.  Silver clad (40% net silver content) proofs were sold separately for $10 each and had a distribution of 1,013,646 pieces. They were packaged in hard plastic holders in a brown box with a red velvet lining.  They had the lowest distribution of the silver proofs made from 1971-74 and for a few years thereafter were considered to be "low mintage". At one time they sold for as much as $200!  Nowadays nice ones retail for about $25-$35 in the original packaging.

3. Silver clad circulation quality (uncirculated or "MS") pieces were sold by the mint in soft plastic wrappers enclosed in a dark blue envelope for $3 each, with a distribution of 1,883,140 pieces. Unlike the proofs, which have mirror surfaces and usually have frosted devices and lettering, they have normal frosty or matte-like luster without contrast between the fields and devices. They were not as carefully handled as the proofs and may have bagmarks or other abrasions as usually found on coins made for circulation.  Pieces that receive very high grades from grading services sell for a premium.

Yes, this.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:04 PM, Roy Winters said:

thanks Sandon, I get that.  I do have the 2023 version but i will get the 24.  thanks to everyone for your responses

USe the 2023 --- the 2024 has no newer material.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:30 PM, RWB said:

USe the 2023 --- the 2024 has no newer material.

Every edition adds SOMETHING new, but Roger is mostly right on this. There is very little changed from 2023 to 2024. Occasionally there are large changes. This is not one of those years. 

On 6/13/2023 at 4:30 PM, RWB said:

Use the 2023 ...

I also don't see the need to upgrade a RB 2023 edition for at least a few years, which is what I have, and can be supplemented with online info from NGC and PCG$.