• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do? I found a UK One Pound 1983 with upside down mint on side

2 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board. This topic would have best been posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, not the NGC Registry forum.

I assume that you are referring to the orientation of the edge lettering so that it is upside down relative to the obverse.  I checked online and found the following article at https://coinparade.co.uk/edge-inscriptions-on-the-round-one-pound-coin/, which has the following to say about this phenomenon: 

Edge inscription upside down?

You hear of collectors having ‘error coins’ where the coin has been mis-struck. There’s big excitement over the edge inscription being upside down.

Sorry to disappoint but according to the Royal Mint there is no right way up. The edge inscription is rolled onto the coin blank before the blank is struck so it’s 50-50 which way up the inscription will appear.

There is also "no right way up" for modern U.S. circulation quality dollar coins made since 2007 with edge lettering such as Presidential and Native American dollars. At the U.S. mint the edge lettering is added in a separate operation after the coins are struck with no regard to which side of the coin is facing up while the lettering is added.

Edited by Sandon