• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beautiful book covers--your examples
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Here are some numismatic book covers that I love;

Harry Salyards, Eagle poised on a bank of clouds

Christopher Faulkner, Imperial designs--Canada's shops, colonies and commerce tokens

Peter Jencius, Vatican City coins

David Sears, Roman coins. (1988 single volume edition)

Francis Paul Prucha, Indian medals in American History

Charlton standard catalog, Canadian Colonial tokens, 10th edition

Do you have any favorites?

I like your screen name, Quintus Arrius. If I recall, QA was the mentor and protector of Ben-Hur in the eponymous movie as well as a real-life person. Are there any numismatic books concerning the coins of Quintus Arrius? I'm just learning about Roman coins. Can you recommend any books? (Let's not sweat the covers.) Thanks.

Edited by roadbike
expand

On 3/28/2023 at 11:01 AM, roadbike said:

Roger's Saints book and auction catalogs with an MCMVII Ultra High Relief are my favorite.  Love that concave look ! (thumbsu

On 3/28/2023 at 1:27 PM, roadbike said:

I like your screen name, Quintus Arrius. If I recall, QA was the mentor and protector of Ben-Hur in the eponymous movie as well as a real-life person. Are there any numismatic books concerning the coins of Quintus Arrius? I'm just learning about Roman coins. Can you recommend any books? (Let's not sweat the covers.) Thanks.

...or possibly the real Quintus Arrius, who was Praetor in 72 BC.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:01 AM, roadbike said:

I like all of these covers, but am partial to the Heritage Platinum Night FUN 2020 cover (top left) and Roger's book.  The Liberty Head book cover is also an attention-grabber, IMO.

Notice how the Morse Platinum Night 2005 cover has smaller pictures but is targeted at a different clientele than a book.

2023 Books 1200.jpg

I have other books including currency and any unique or valuable bill on the cover tends to grab my attention.  The Whitman Red Books with the coins featured (i.e., Morgan Silver Dollars by QDB) are also simple but effective.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/29/2023 at 11:41 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I like all of these covers, but am partial to the Heritage Platinum Night FUN 2020 cover (top left) and Roger's book.  The Liberty Head book cover is also an attention-grabber, IMO.

Notice how the Morse Platinum Night 2005 cover has smaller pictures but is targeted at a different clientele than a book.

2023 Books 1200.jpg

I have other books including currency and any unique or valuable bill on the cover tends to grab my attention.  The Whitman Red Books with the coins featured (i.e., Morgan Silver Dollars by QDB) are also simple but effective.

I like Saints, but for covers with coins as the primary focus - I’m a bit biased towards:

664E4D11-AC3E-44E3-8337-BE899BB01E27.jpeg

On 3/29/2023 at 12:45 PM, RWB said:

This next one was adopted for its complete simplicity and connection between image and subject. (Even the title text is silver-gray color.)

I think that's a unique picture for the Silver Dollar book.  Very inspired choice.  Right time period image.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:01 PM, roadbike said:

Here are some numismatic book covers that I love;

Harry Salyards, Eagle poised on a bank of clouds

Christopher Faulkner, Imperial designs--Canada's shops, colonies and commerce tokens

Peter Jencius, Vatican City coins

Francis Paul Prucha, Indian medals in American History

Charlton standard catalog, Canadian Colonial tokens, 10th edition

The cover of a book is an indisputable key to its success. After all, the first impression often determines whether a book will be read. The cover is a visual appeal that should grab the reader's attention and keep them interested. It should be attractive, emotionally charged and convey the essence and atmosphere of the work. I recently read to kill a mockingbird, found https://edubirdie.com/examples/to-kill-a-mockingbird/ for this. Here's a really cool cover. A well-designed cover creates curiosity and draws the reader into the story, increasing the chances of success. But do not forget that both the content and the quality of the text are important. I myself often buy books purely for the cover.

This cool

Edited by davidturner

On 5/23/2023 at 2:07 PM, VKurtB said:

Illegal Tender: Gold, Greed, and the Mystery of the Lost 1933 Double Eagle

by David Tripp

Sorry, I just couldn't resist rattling someone's cage. And it's not even vanity house published!

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Illegal-Tender/David-Tripp/9780743274357

image.png.042f6726533c574924136e30f997043e.png

...love it, i mite even buy two....

On 5/24/2023 at 10:20 AM, zadok said:

Yes, better than kindling to start that Winter fire get started in your fireplace. xD

On 5/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yes, better than kindling to start that Winter fire get started in your fireplace. xD

...no i use those old Barr notes i paid $2 each for years ago....

On 5/24/2023 at 10:20 AM, zadok said:

blast from the past...

🐓 :  you know what that means!

q.a.:  yeah, they've upped the ante... now we're going to have to go out and get three signed copies... all first editions.  :makepoint:  doh!  :roflmao:

On 5/23/2023 at 2:07 PM, VKurtB said:

Illegal Tender: Gold, Greed, and the Mystery of the Lost 1933 Double Eagle

I presume you have read the book (or maybe someone else has)...does this sound familiar regarding the 2nd Mystery 1933 besides the Farouk-Fenton-Weitzman-Elite Coin ?   

"In 1975, Jeff Browning purchased from three dealers Roy E. Naftzger’s collection of Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles which included a 1933 Double Eagle, priced at a near world-record $250,000.

Naftzger had been an important client of Abe Kosoff, who had purchased many coins from Israel Switt, including as many as four 1933 Double Eagles. Years later, Naftzger himself related that he had “personally owned four of them at one time”; one of these was sold to Browning, the other three, Naftzger said were “long gone.”

In 1978 Browning died, and representatives of his estate learned the 1933 Double Eagle might present legal issues. Mike Brownlee, one of the dealers who had sold the coin, quietly showed the coin around the trade, where its appearance was greeted with nervous awe. One dealer expressed interest, had photos taken, but ultimately declined on advice from his lawyers. Eventually a buyer was found and the Mystery coin disappeared into the murk which always seemed to envelop 1933 Double Eagles."

On 6/1/2023 at 9:27 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I presume you have read the book (or maybe someone else has)...does this sound familiar regarding the 2nd Mystery 1933 besides the Farouk-Fenton-Weitzman-Elite Coin ?   

"In 1975, Jeff Browning purchased from three dealers Roy E. Naftzger’s collection of Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles which included a 1933 Double Eagle, priced at a near world-record $250,000.

Naftzger had been an important client of Abe Kosoff, who had purchased many coins from Israel Switt, including as many as four 1933 Double Eagles. Years later, Naftzger himself related that he had “personally owned four of them at one time”; one of these was sold to Browning, the other three, Naftzger said were “long gone.”

In 1978 Browning died, and representatives of his estate learned the 1933 Double Eagle might present legal issues. Mike Brownlee, one of the dealers who had sold the coin, quietly showed the coin around the trade, where its appearance was greeted with nervous awe. One dealer expressed interest, had photos taken, but ultimately declined on advice from his lawyers. Eventually a buyer was found and the Mystery coin disappeared into the murk which always seemed to envelop 1933 Double Eagles."

It is possible, maybe even likely, that this coin is the one voluntarily surrendered by its owner after the Langbord case had gotten its final legal review. That said, the consensus figure for the number of them still out there is 3-4. 

Edited by VKurtB

How about getting back to book covers.....The poor dead horse has been ground up, blended, and served medium-rare burgers no one really knows what's between the buns.

On 6/3/2023 at 11:49 AM, VKurtB said:

It is possible, maybe even likely, that this coin is the one voluntarily surrendered by its owner after the Langbord case had gotten its final legal review. That said, the consensus figure for the number of them still out there is 3-4. 

Agreed.  I'm just surprised nobody took photos for posterity and to make a future ID/tracking easier. :mad:

On 6/3/2023 at 4:31 PM, RWB said:

How about getting back to book covers.....The poor dead horse has been ground up, blended, and served medium-rare burgers no one really knows what's between the buns.

...maybe its because book covers have nothing to do with actual coins?...sort of like "wheres the beef?"...but of course its ur thread....

Having been employed at various times by the Strand, arguably one of the largest used book stores in the nation, and having spent time in their Rare Book Department, I believe it safe to say that save for the embossed leather-bound books with their fancy gilt-edges, the dust jacket, much like the daily newspaper's banner headline -- "Headless Body Found in Topless Bar" remains memorable some 40 years later -- the "dust jacket" may make or break a potential publishing coup. True, numismatics may seem to be a staid field, but the secret to the hobby's success lies with catching and keeping the younger coin collector's attention. One of the first coin books I purchased (yes, when the skies were patrolled with pterodactyls) was simply titled, "Coin Collecting Made Simple." (1964) It's large colorful cover and pages covered with exotic  coins in living color was designed to catch and hold a young person's eye. For mature readers, a hook is needed. The book "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea," preceded by excerpts before its release date is a fine example. A foundering ship and a sea filled with passengers at the height of a hurricane (1857). Reference works speak for themselves, but for the story behind a story, another book is needed and the dust jacket or quality paperback accompanied by drawings and photos as well as a catchy title may very well be a determinant of success.

I recently learned that the coins chosen to be used on a book cover are called "plate coins." 

While sometimes they are generic commons, other times they are from famous collections.

Interesting....(thumbsu

On 6/3/2023 at 9:49 PM, zadok said:

...maybe its because book covers have nothing to do with actual coins?...sort of like "wheres the beef?"...but of course its ur thread....

Actually, it's roadbike's thread. xD

"Plate coins" are usually those used in the book's text. Hence the term "plated" referring to a coin that was illustrated by photo in a book or auction. ("The Dexter 1904 dollar was plated in the Newman-Bressett book.") I wonder what the photos in a cook book are called?

Photos on a book cover are commonly called "cover art" since they are merely part of a signular composition.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:22 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The French Red Book, the color and dimensions of which coincide with the Yeoman editions. Which came first? Ours, debuting in 1947.

20230603_171214.thumb.jpg.f195b977423044dc0f35a807cb069dd2.jpg

Speaking of which, the unreliability of the resumption of VIP tours at the British Royal Mint (maybe, but I can’t count on it), we have substituted Paris, France for Llantrisant, Wales and the Monnaie de Paris for the Royal Mint. Late September.

On 6/4/2023 at 2:06 PM, VKurtB said:

Speaking of which, the unreliability of the resumption of VIP tours at the British Royal Mint (maybe, but I can’t count on it), we have substituted Paris, France for Llantrisant, Wales and the Monnaie de Paris for the Royal Mint. Late September.

Disappointment? Shame.

On 6/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, Zebo said:

Disappointment? Shame.

Only being able to add the Louvre to the agenda makes the swap really nice.

On 6/4/2023 at 5:30 PM, VKurtB said:

Only being able to add the Louvre to the agenda makes the swap really nice.

... not to mention the wholly inadvertent, serendipitous discovery of a source for a 67-certified 1910, 1913 or 1914 you-know what!  :roflmao: