• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. Gold Coins That Actually Circulated
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2024 at 11:04 PM, zadok said:

...a few r not, they just seek an audience for no real purpose because they have none elsewhere....

N.N.N.... Spiro Agnew-speak for "nattering nabobs of negativism."

As an update (or perhaps epilog) to this topic, I recently submitted all four of the gold coins that were saved by my grandparents to NGC.  The results were as follows:

NGC graded the 1906-D Liberty Head half eagle MS 62.  My grade would have been no higher than AU 55, as the coin has high point "rub" and only partial luster.  Having been used in commerce, the coin is "circulated" in at least the literal sense.

NGC graded the 1909-D Indian Head half eagle AU 55. The coin has little luster in the fields and rub on the Indian's cheek. My own grade would have been Choice Extremely Fine (45) to AU (50), but in this case the difference between third-party grading service standards and my own isn't that great.

The 1907 "Indian" Head eagle was the unpleasant surprise of the submission. I had expected a "details" grade of AU (possibly Uncirculated) Details due to the coin's obvious rim damage. NGC recommended that this coin be subjected to NCS "conservation" on account of alleged "residue", which would have cost another $58. Having had quite unsatisfactory results from the previous "conservation" of a much lower value coin by NCS, I declined subjecting a family heirloom to such an experiment, so the coin was returned to me unencapsulated. I carefully inspected the coin both before submitting and on receiving it back from NGC and cannot find evidence of any "residue" on the coin other than perhaps a small amount of dirt or toning that was also visible on the coins that were encapsulated. (The obverse photo I posted shows a small dark area in one of the recesses of Liberty's hair, but the coin itself shows bare gold in that area.)   I'll try soaking it in acetone but don't expect much change in it. I'll probably return it to the square lucite holder in which I stored it for about the last fifty years.

NGC graded the 1910-S "Indian" Head eagle AU 55.  My own grade would have been no higher than XF 45.  The coin has more wear on Liberty's hair and the eagle's wing than I would have thought permissible for an AU grade, and the coin has only traces of luster.

The use of paper currency use ILLEGAL in the territory/state of California made the circulation of gold coins -- including SanFran-struck DEs -- much more widespread on the West Coast.  That's a continual theme that comes across my readings from 1850-1870.  Started to decline during 1870-1900 but not sure of extent.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Picked this one up years back for less than melt at the time.. Have no idea whether it actually was in circulation or was just someone's pocket piece.

It also has a dent to the left of the nose, but not too well shown in the photo.

No use trying to get it into a plastic holder because of reverse scratches and polishing.

Coin1003(1).jpg

Edited by MorganMan