• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an ms66 have a deep scratch or ding on Lincolns bust if it doesn't detract from the over all naked eye appeal?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

The blemish doesnt look like a scratch, it looks more like a contact mark or ding which you typically have on most business strike coins.

Also you can take decent coin pics with most phones if you center, square up and move in closer to the coin (helps auto focus), and rest your hand on something like books to steady the phone.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:01 AM, EagleRJO said:

you can take decent coin pics with most phones

...and remember to peel the banana or untie the shoe first.

;)

In general on a "ding" or gash on an MS-66.....we have our own EC here who owns the only 1933 DE.  It has that gash on the leg but not the face.  It's an MS-65.

I think you probably can't have a noticeable blemish that stands out to get Superb Gem (MS-67 or above)....but it CAN be there on an MS-65 or MS-66 so long as it's not in a critical area.  Prime field areas where it's easily seen detract more than lower edges of the coin like a big Saint or Morgan.  But this gets to the whole Market vs. Technical grading thing....I believe strict technical grading might (not 100% sure but might) prohibit a high grade.

I'm not as much of an expert on small coins where the same-sized ding is proportionately much larger.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Concerning what are acceptable contact marks for a coin and grade I would reference the Official ANA Grading Standards, 7th Edition for that specific coin, and not what may or may not be acceptable for other coins.  It does vary depending on the coin.

Book - Official ANA Grading Standards 7th Edition.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Its not a scratch its a contact mark. It would not have received a straight grade with a scratch. Marks are gradable in fact they are what determines the 60 -70 grade designation. None to few marks with strike quality, luster and eye appeal grade 70 down to 60 with more marks than  61 but still no signs of circulation wear. Marks can come from mint process and handling as well as bags and rolls. Not all marks are non detracting some heavily marked proof coins are graded impaired proof since proofs are not generally graded if heavily dinged or marked.