• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 Coins found on Sidewalk in NYC

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently found two coins on the sidewalk, and while I try to locate their owner by posting signs, I'm interested in learning what they are. 

The one with the cross one is about the size of an American quarter, and the darker one is about the size of an American penny. The images are hard to decipher. I found one online reference to the one that seems to feature a cross, but the odd thing is that the reference image I found is a contemporary pendant "inspired" by the coin it describes. Anything else with relevant keywords returns ancient results that are distinct from the one I found.

Can anyone knowledgeable and kind enough to take a look tell give me any clues to their identification?

Thanks so much.

ancient coins lg wh 2.jpg

ancient coins sm wh2.jpg

ancient cpin reference2.jpg

I can't speak to the authenticity of either piece, but I believe the upper coin is a Byzantine follis of Nikephoros (Nicephorus) III. I can't see enough detail on the lower coin to even try to identify it, although the left picture appears to show a figure standing above an exergue, if it is rotated 1/4 turn to the left.

Here are some pictures of what I believe is the first coin from Wildwinds:

sb1889.jpg

sb1889_2.jpg