• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doing your own research
1 1

36 posts in this topic

One of the wonderful things to come out from the COVID-19 pandemic was that a Spanish-speaking numismatic researcher was trapped in Madrid for about a year. He requested and received a researcher's credential and spent the pandemic researching the history of the Spanish Colonial mints from the original source material.

He wrote a letter to NI (Numismatics International) indicating he has enough material for four years of writting.

It sounds like an advertisement for a new article) About who are you speaking, please? I heard about a new publication about the latest discovered Spanish coin that is the most popular, with its distinctive design and consistent silver content. We may be relating to the same stuff. I want to do my research, and a critical essay would help me considerably. Own research needs to include personal views and approaches to the paper besides the exact data, information, and graphics. So I hope the source I have found will help me with the critical analysis I need.

Edited by WandaWay

On 12/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, disme said:

Don Taxay and I started about the same time, the late 1950s, and Ken Bressett was close behind, perhaps mid-1960s. 

Wow, was just reading about Don Taxay....interesting fellow, huh ?  Boy, did he do a 180 degree life correction. xD

I wonder if he is still alive. hm

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/5/2023 at 8:40 PM, bstrauss3 said:

One of the wonderful things to come out from the COVID-19 pandemic was that a Spanish-speaking numismatic researcher was trapped in Madrid for about a year. He requested and received a researcher's credential and spent the pandemic researching the history of the Spanish Colonial mints from the original source material.

He wrote a letter to NI (Numismatics International) indicating he has enough material for four years of writting.

agree with you

It's great to see some writers finally going to original materials, in the original languages, for their book and article content. So much of the extant numismatic literature is outdated.