• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washington quarter

5 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2022 at 3:57 PM, Mikeu78 said:

Why do I have graded washington quarters that don't say type b and they are B 1956 -1964 

I would assume because you purchased them. But if they bother you, seems sensible you could sell them.

On 12/17/2022 at 6:57 PM, Mikeu78 said:

Why do I have graded Washington quarters that don't say type b and they are B 1956 -1964 

Grading services don't attribute most die varieties unless the submitter requests such attribution and pays an additional fee for it. ($18 at NGC.) This sometimes enables astute collectors to "cherrypick" varieties on certified coins.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What's the "B" stand for ?

Washington quarters made for circulation from 1932-1964 generally have a low relief "Type A" reverse. The dies for reverses of proofs dated from 1937-1964 (not 1936) were made from a higher relief "Type B" reverse with slightly different details. A minority of Philadelphia mint circulation issues from 1956-1964 also have the "Type B" reverse and are believed to have been minted from retired proof dies that were still suitable for making coins for circulation. There is a fad of collecting the "Type B" circulation strikes, although none appears to be rare.  The Type B reverse is attributed by the clear separation of the "E" and "S" in "STATES" as shown in the NGC "VarietyPlus" photo below. (On Type A pieces, these letters nearly touch.) I identify the "Type B" reverse more readily by the higher relief in the leaves of the crossed branches below the eagle.

815056-1-1528207031.jpg