• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd to see your own book used as a prop on TV
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2023 at 12:23 PM, zadok said:

...check out the dates....

If you are referring to the date of the TV shows....they mostly AIRED in the 1960's but of course they were SET in the 1860's - 1890's:  Rawhide, Laramie, The Big Valley, Bonanza, etc.  I didn't mean the shows were set in the 1960's. xD

I was never into alot of the 1950's and 1960's sitcoms and Westerns but you see lots of stars before they were stars showing up (i.e., Lee Majors and Linda Evans in TBV before "Six Million Dollar Man" and "Dynasty" respecitvely).

I think at one point in the early-1960's there were like 23 Westerns on TV.  10 years later, only 1 or 2 (including Gunsmoke). 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, RWB said:

.... The HE dies are at the Philadelphia Mint die vault #2.

To be fair about it, would it be safer to say the HE dies were reportedly at the Philadelphia Mint's die vault, as of [mm/dd/yr]? 

A bit off topic but how often are the contents of the various mint's chambers audited?

On 4/10/2023 at 10:51 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you are referring to the date of the TV shows....they mostly AIRED in the 1960's but of course they were SET in the 1860's - 1890's:  Rawhide, Laramie, The Big Valley, Bonanza, etc.  I didn't mean the shows were set in the 1960's. xD

I was never into alot of the 1950's and 1960's sitcoms and Westerns but you see lots of stars before they were stars showing up (i.e., Lee Majors and Linda Evans in TBV before "Six Million Dollar Man" and "Dynasty" respecitvely).

I think at one point in the early-1960's there were like 23 Westerns on TV.  10 years later, only 1 or 2 (including Gunsmoke). 

...no i was saying for u to check out the dates of the DEs during the show, give u a real challenge...i am very familiar with all those westerns n maybe twenty others watched them when they aired...one of the more interesting tv shows with a coin was the episode a couple years back of NCIS....

On 4/11/2023 at 6:54 AM, Henri Charriere said:

To be fair about it, would it be safer to say the HE dies were reportedly at the Philadelphia Mint's die vault, as of [mm/dd/yr]? 

A bit off topic but how often are the contents of the various mint's chambers audited?

That is the actual location as observed, omitting the file drawer and compartment information. Historical and obsolete dies and hubs are in a separate vault in much the same manner as BEP handles its obsolete printing plates and proofs (within 5 vaults). Both maintain similar indices and photos.

Edited by RWB

On 4/10/2023 at 10:51 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Not TV but I always remember listening to an old Sherlock Holmes radio show, a rerun, where Moriarty was busy minting counterfeit sovereigns and murdering "The world's greatest numismatologist." Brutus Octavius Bainbridge. xD

On 4/11/2023 at 11:34 AM, zadok said:

...no i was saying for u to check out the dates of the DEs during the show, give u a real challenge.

Impossible...simply wasn't a closeup and it could have been any larger-sized coins, props, or even chocolate coins. xD 

They weren't really shown during the episode, I found the bank manager's statement that they just got a shipment of double eagles in to be the most interesting part of the show.

Except for the shootout at the end, of course. :)

On 4/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Impossible...simply wasn't a closeup and it could have been any larger-sized coins, props, or even chocolate coins. xD 

They weren't really shown during the episode, I found the bank manager's statement that they just got a shipment of double eagles in to be the most interesting part of the show.

Except for the shootout at the end, of course. :)

...no one said it was going to be easy....

On 4/20/2023 at 4:02 PM, zadok said:

...no one said it was going to be easy....

I forgot to mention...the thieves were dropping the DEs along the trail to lure the Good Guys into an ambush.  The coins shined in the desert with the sunlight.

No doubt MS-65's with good luster !!  xD

On 4/10/2023 at 9:50 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Coins in TV Shows & Movies:  Whenever I watch TV shows -- mostly Westerns -- from the 1960's, I always look to see if there are refences or shots of coins we follow which would be of that time, mostly Morgan Silver Dollars and Gold Double Eagles.

Well, a show I never heard of called LARAMIE (since learned it was on NBC from 1959-63) has an episode airing tomorrow on the STARZ Western Channel (STZWS) entitled "Double Eagles" with a snyopsis of:  "Outlaws who rob and then kill a wealthy rancher find their escape is slowed when their booty -- weighty gold coins -- becomes difficult to transport."

Dummies...shoulda stolen Gold Certificates !!  xD

Anyway, it airs tomorrow twice at 9 AM EST and again at 3:45 PM.

And it happens again tomorrow...."Double Eagles"......9AM and 3:45 PM.

It's Season 4 Episode 8....Robert Fuller, who did tons of Westerns and starred in "Emergency !!" in the 1970's, stars in this show.  Still alive at age 90...God Bless !! (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/11/2022 at 2:12 AM, RWB said:

Just after the double overtime Army-Navy game, I happened to tune in to the Rare Coin TV show selling 1932 Eagles. I was surprised to see my book, Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908, prominently displayed standing upright next to some of the coins being sold. I missed any reference to the book, but seeing my very own little tome on TV was an interesting experience. Here's the book cover:

march_1_revision2_front.thumb.jpg.47f4d88c56a27a98b927135db02fada0.jpg

So, training has been quite a journey for me. The struggles I face mostly revolve around managing time and staying on top of assignments. It's like a never-ending battle to find that study groove, you know? But here's a little secret I've found that's been a game-changer for me in improving my grades: GradesFixer - check it out on this site. I stumbled upon their essay title generator, and it's been a lifesaver when I'm stuck on essay topics. It's super handy and sparks some creative ideas for me. So, if you're looking to make your academic life a tad easier and get those grades up, definitely give GradesFixer's essay title generator a shot. It's a small but mighty tool that's made my study routine less stressful, and I hope it can do the same for you! 😉📚

Wow, seeing your book on TV must have been a total surprise and really cool! It's always fun to find your work mentioned unexpectedly. Your book cover looks super interesting, and I bet it feels amazing to know it's getting some love in the numismatic world. If you ever find out more about why and how your book ended up on TV, I'm sure it'll be a fascinating story to tell. Congrats on your work getting some attention!

Edited by Linda_Latch

Linda,

Thank you! Yes, it's always interesting to see you own work in use, even if it was just a TV prop. :) TR played an outsized role in the new gold coin designs and in the whole "renaissance" coinage period, so it seemed appropriate to put him on the cover. The central illustration is from a Puck magazine cover and the rest was added by artist Jane Waldron.

Edited by RWB

On 10/17/2023 at 10:51 AM, Linda_Latch said:

Wow, seeing your book on TV must have been a total surprise and really cool! It's always fun to find your work mentioned unexpectedly. Your book cover looks super interesting, and I bet it feels amazing to know it's getting some love in the numismatic world. If you ever find out more about why and how your book ended up on TV, I'm sure it'll be a fascinating story to tell. Congrats on your work getting some attention!

Nice words about one of our most voluminous contributors, Linda. (thumbsu  Roger's books are fantastic and his contributions on some of the threads here is also invaluable (I'm biased, of course, because of his contributions to the Saint-Gaudens DE Thread based on his book).

Welcome to the Forums. (thumbsu

Rawhide, Season 4, Episode 2 "Incident Of The Sendoff"....at the 30:30 mark, you see Gil Favor (Eric Fleming) talking to Hadley (Darren McGavin) saying that he would pay the $150 owed to Hadley with 8 Double Eagles.  This was the TV series that launched Clint Eastwood.

I never realized until the last year how many TV stars of the 1970's and 1980's I grew up with were on these Westerns of the late-1950's and early-1960's.  

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/11/2022 at 4:12 AM, RWB said:

Just after the double overtime Army-Navy game, I happened to tune in to the Rare Coin TV show selling 1932 Eagles. I was surprised to see my book, Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908, prominently displayed standing upright next to some of the coins being sold. I missed any reference to the book, but seeing my very own little tome on TV was an interesting experience. Here's the book cover:

march_1_revision2_front.thumb.jpg.47f4d88c56a27a98b927135db02fada0.jpg

TV mounting service in Alexandria, VA and surrounding areas
https://wemountyourtvs.com/tv-mount-service-alexandria-va/

good

RARE COIN TV:  Today I saw Roger's book in another infomercial, but Rick Tomaska wasn't the guy making the pitch.  It was a substitute.  Once again, the book was on a picture frame mount off to the side.

The "coins" were commemoratives from the Augustus Saint-Gaudens National Park Foundation.  They were selling the 1-ounce Winged Liberty Ultra High Relief in gold for $5,495 which is a HUGE premium to the spot bullion price.  I don't believe previous versions were retailing for that much of a premium.  They were also selling a Winged Liberty 5-ounce Silver Ultra High Relief for $995.

I don't like the premiums being charged but they were actually my least distasteful part of the 25-27 minutes.  References were made to the other 2 Ultra High Reliefs struck, the 1907 MCMVII UHR (with a Heritage snapshot showing one going for $4.3 MM) and the 2009 UHR.  Mintages of each -- 21 vs. 114,000 -- were emphasized and how THIS coin was in between those two, benefitting future appreciation.  For the gold coin, it's mintage of 299 and for the 5-ounce silver it is 999.

I like these coins but the premiums have to come down on both.  They are also issuing them every year or every other year, the novelty is going to wear off.

Rick's infomercials do a good job telling the history of the coins or commemoratives, and I applaud him for that.  I just wish the coins were cheaper -- partly out of his control, I know.  I guess if someone buys one and it stimulates their interest in the richness of this hobby, it's not a bad deal -- heck, I wish I had been exposed to double eagles much earlier as I undoubtedly would have cleaned up at much lower prices -- so we'll just have to see.

I'll see if these coins show up on HA, GC, Ebay, etc. 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/4/2024 at 12:28 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

RARE COIN TV:  Today I saw Roger's book in another infomercial, but Rick Tomaska wasn't the guy making the pitch.  It was a substitute....

....  I guess if someone buys one and it stimulates their interest in the richness of this hobby, it's not a bad deal -- ....

.... i wish I had been exposed to double eagles much earlier as I undoubtedly would have cleaned up at much lower prices -- so we'll just have to see.....

I know in the music business using another's tune, in small part, is called "sampling." I wonder what using someone's book as a prop is called? I would guess free advertising.

The gold commemorative had an exceedingly low run.  I wouldn't be surprised if time were set aside on a paricular day and they were all  minted at once. These coins, commemoratives, and rarer than an 1894-S dime, will never come down, and even less so with gold prices expected to rise as they inevitably do. 

Double Eagles were never the province of the average Joe on the street. If anything, it's the guys who could afford them  but procrastinated who lament their inaction. The truth is, in that regard, I suspect there are many should've, couldn't, would've folks out there.

Update -- The same coin seller was pushing 1932 Eagles for $2,495 (MS-64) Friday, and had a copy of my Saint-Gaudens DE book on the table as a prop. This is the book published by Heritage Auctions with a large S-G  HR DE on the cover. (There's no comparable S-G Eagle book....it never got written.)

On 3/25/2024 at 12:35 PM, RWB said:

Update -- The same coin seller was pushing 1932 Eagles for $2,495 (MS-64) Friday, and had a copy of my Saint-Gaudens DE book on the table as a prop. This is the book published by Heritage Auctions with a large S-G  HR DE on the cover. (There's no comparable S-G Eagle book....it never got written.)

I've seen it in the past. 

Were they COMMON Eagles ?  MS-64 or MS-63 grade ?  I presume there are tens of thousands of 1932 Eagles available.

On 3/4/2024 at 6:34 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I know in the music business using another's tune, in small part, is called "sampling." I wonder what using someone's book as a prop is called? I would guess free advertising.

The gold commemorative had an exceedingly low run.  I wouldn't be surprised if time were set aside on a paricular day and they were all  minted at once. These coins, commemoratives, and rarer than an 1894-S dime, will never come down, and even less so with gold prices expected to rise as they inevitably do. 

Double Eagles were never the province of the average Joe on the street. If anything, it's the guys who could afford them  but procrastinated who lament their inaction. The truth is, in that regard, I suspect there are many should've, couldn't, would've folks out there.

(I must be losing it... I do not recall having written this post.  I don't deny its provenance, but the "voice" did not resonate with me. I do not recognize it. I read it and then looked to see who wrote it, and was startled to find out it was me. It's not even a month.  Whew!)

"Sampling" must be tightly controlled if in a commercial setting as the music rights issues with "The Wonder Years" and "WKRP In Cincinatti" took years/decades to resolve.  Some artists never consented so they had to settle for about 95-97% accuracy.:(

I don't know why it has never been an issue in the movies....they must get a in-perpetuity license.

In a film or video production this is called "product placement" and is usually a quid-pro-quo (or maybe a squid pro garlic-lemon sauce) or a paid placement by a product manufacturer.  (Think cars, trucks, foods, restaurant names, cigarettes used to be big on this.)