• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial half dollar - variety? [Variety and details in last post.]

33 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, NewGuy1 said:

Dear Kurt dude :preach:

Weall know you think errors are irrelevant. That's yourOPINION, and you continually remind us.  I think errors are an interesting part of collecting for me and some othermembers.  Can yoh please explain why we should believe your opinion and educate new collectors on your OPINION and not my opinion that errors can be interesting an a fun part of the hobby?  I would really like to know why your OPINION should carry so much importance while mine Nd others who collect errors should be ignored and told to other as being wrong.  Is it because I'm not a collector from Norteast,soth central middle PA?  Hahahaha.

Thanks Kurt dude . :preach:Will be waiting for you to teach me something. I really want to no why I need to start sharing the evals of errors to new collectors because many of them don't know or share the absolute truth of your wise OPINIONS.  

When I began collecting in 1963, virtually NOBODY cared about minor varieties, and truly, ALMOST nobody does today. The problem is that those who do, congregate almost entirely online. One exception - the CONECA club table at shows, where predominantly children are drawn. There’s a whole competitive class for varieties and errors, which almost never has any entries at all. Again, exception - January FUN. Why? Many CONECA leaders are from Florida. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, RWB said:

Thanks to all who tried to figure this one out. It is a frustrating example of what easily happens when confronted with counterfeit coins. This piece is devoid of any indication it is not a legal tender of the United States -- even though that is required by Federal law.

Nearly all posters quickly identified some of the primary indicators of counterfeits: poor definition and sharpness, sloppy lettering, positional errors, rim and edge overrun, missing or irregular details. That bodes well for members' ability to identify common characteristics of fakes from China or almost any other place. But, it also emphasizes the difficulty in taking the next step by calling this (or any other fake) what it really is -- and doing so without regard to its origin.  That might come from a scarcity of caution when examining a common coin design, a willingness to "believe" accumulated narrative, or possibly a form of justification of counterfeiting merely because it "looks OK."

This example was produced and sold to the unwary by an American company in Colorado. Here's a photo taken directly from the company website:

1732146015_BiCenthalf.thumb.jpg.18ffe89d4208c2e8223165ba28962620.jpg

That it fooled everyone here who looked at the reverse photo is clear indication of the danger of counterfeiting, and of hobby organizations that retain those engaged in such activities as members.

I won't start any similar threads. Just be careful and aware. :)

I didn’t care at all. Now I care even less. 

On 12/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, NewGuy1 said:

Dear Kurt dude :preach:

Weall know you think errors are irrelevant. That's yourOPINION, and you continually remind us.  I think errors are an interesting part of collecting for me and some othermembers.  Can yoh please explain why we should believe your opinion and educate new collectors on your OPINION and not my opinion that errors can be interesting an a fun part of the hobby?  I would really like to know why your OPINION should carry so much importance while mine Nd others who collect errors should be ignored and told to other as being wrong.  Is it because I'm not a collector from Norteast,soth central middle PA?  Hahahaha.

Thanks Kurt dude . :preach:Will be waiting for you to teach me something. I really want to no why I need to start sharing the evals of errors to new collectors because many of them don't know or share the absolute truth of your wise OPINIONS.  

The other reason is that the VAST MAJORITY of reported varieties and errors are neither. They are damage.