• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

looking for help on this 1958 D franklin.

4 posts in this topic

I have this dilema again guys. I will down load this picture and I believe that this is a double die date on this 1958 d Franklin. I'm no expert but I know that there are some members here that are. I would like to know as I can't find anything on the internet that talk about a double die for this date and Mint. The reason I noticed it is I was looking at both a 1958 P and this coin and something looked a little weird about the date. I took a 10x magnifier and it appears as if the 1 on the date has been double died and the nine. Take a look at the scan its the best I can do with my scanner and if I try to magnify the scan more it becomes blurred. Thanks for any opinions and help

Papag

Ken

839913-58ddf.jpg.f8c011f6f794e7ed8c52ee2bd37afe76.jpg

I can't tell as everything looks blurry and doubled. I am not aware of a DD for this coin so if there is doubling it is most likely machine doubling which wouldn't be worth a premium.

A good rule of them with Doubled Die's vs Machine Doubling is the height of the Doubling. If the number or letter has what appear to be a lower shelf running along the side of it.....it's most likely machine doubling. If the doubling is the same height as the primary letters or numbers then you have a good chance it's an actual doubl die.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if it take a loop to see the doubling.....the chances are slim that any premium would be paid by another collector. thumbsup2.gif

Hi Shane

Thanks very much for the information and Yes it is lower to the numbers bottom than right next to it. Again I knew that this board has great members and experts to help us all out. Thanks again so very much.

Papag

Ken

No problem Ken....I have sent off Frankies to have the Double Die's attributed only to find out it was machine doubling....so even the best of us can struggle with this one 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif