• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade with variety
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have some ungrade Morgan's that I want to get graded.  Should I also have the VAM added as well, if applicable? Does that help with the value or just the collectors interest?

First of all, make sure the value of each coin justifies the cost of grading fees (at NGC, presently $23 for a coin worth $300 or less, $40 for one worth over $300 and under $3,000), processing fees ($10 per submission form), and shipping and insurance each way.  Common date circulated and lower end uncirculated Morgan dollars, even if unimpaired by "cleaning" or other problems, simply aren't worth the expense!  Obviously, you have to know something about grading and valuation yourself to make this determination.

As for VAM die varieties, only those known as the "Top 100" and the "Hot 50" are probably worth attributing. Others are less popular and usually command little or no premium. NGC VarietyPlus (under the home page "Resources" tab) identifies which VAMs are so designated.  All but a few require the payment of an additional $18 per coin for attribution. The VAMWorld site referred to by the previous poster provides additional photos and information about these varieties.

Welcome to the forum!   If you have any of the hit list 50 or top 100 VAMs those are the coins I would suggest considering the extra fees and having attributed.   Also keep in mind that NGC does not attribute every known VAM, so be sure and check the list of VAM's that NGC will attribute when making your decision.   I have not looked in a long time so I do not recall if PCGS excludes any VAMs from attribution, but if you plan to submit any there you should also check that first.

Good luck on your grades and please stop back and share your results with us, we love to look at coins!

Thanks for the replies.  I did see PCGS and NGC recognize the same VAMs. I'll stick with those, otherwise it can be overwhelming with thousands of varieties out there. 

@MSGT_PThe NGC price guide includes values for many of the VAM's which, along with auction results from Great Collections or Heritage Auctions, can assist in figuring out if it's worthwhile to have a TPG attribute the VAM's.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/dollars/49/

Also if you have questions about any particular VAM's you can post clear pics of both sides with your question as there are several active members familiar with those. But, some are difficult to ID without the coin in hand.

Edited by EagleRJO