• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the weight tolerance of an NGC slab?

34 posts in this topic

Hoghead, thank you for putting slabs on scales and reporting numbers, very helpful. 

I cracked my coin out and it does not weigh enough to be a 90% silver planchet. 

yes, the part about pattern/prototype/trial was smartasserry aka trolling

here are photos of the doubled die if it interests you

https://imgur.com/a/6spDSFR

Edited by Taylor7

On 11/3/2022 at 11:47 AM, Oldhoopster said:

You said

given the reverse die is a ‘64 it seems to me it’s a prototype or pattern or trial piece (whats the difference, anyway?). 

How did you determine that your 1965 SMS has a reverse Of 1964?  I have never heard of such a variety and found nothIng doing an internet search.  Can you please provide a reference or something so we can understand what you're claiming?  

Whenever I find a doubled die which does not match the references I use, I go ahead and check the adjacent years if it’s the reverse die to see if it was reused. 

I check the listings on pcgs, ngc, variety vista, and wexlers. 

does anyone know of a more complete database? ANACS pop report lists many but I can’t find photos of them. I don’t understand why the CONECA database isn’t accessible either. 

On 11/4/2022 at 7:48 AM, Taylor7 said:

yes, the part about pattern/prototype/trial was smartasserry aka trolling

That will get you added to a lot of people's "not worth bothering to respond to" list.

“The basic principle of the new education is to be that dunces and idlers must not be made to feel inferior to intelligent and industrious pupils. That would be undemocratic.”

- C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man