• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-S Eisenhower 40% Silver Proof Dollar........HELP!
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So I found/got this circulated proof (I think) 1971-S Eisenhower 40% Silver Dollar from a teller at a bank. It's a pegleg R on LIBERTY.  But I'm confused.  Is this Pegleg R (over polished die) normal on proofs?   I'm confused about the business strike versus the proof strike regarding the Pegleg R.

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

S20221928_001.jpg

S23221028_001.jpg

S27221028_001.jpg

I wish I could be of help. I picked up over a hundred Ikes at a local bank and never opened a single roll. I had no idea there were so many differences. You got me with the pegleg. The only ones I know of were Peg Leg Bates, an incredibly gifted dancer, and Peter Stuyvesant, who governed New Netherland before it became New York. [I will be watching this topic to evaluate the explanations offered as they come in.]

Your coin to me looks like a business strike..but you have the coin in hand.(shrug)

1971-S Ike Silver Dollar Proof "Peg Leg" FS-401-In Orig Hard Mint Plastic!-d7985 | eBay

1971 S Eisenhower Silver Dollar Peg Leg Variety FS-401 DDO-009 ANACS MS64 #6994 | eBay

Edited by rrantique
add link

On 10/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I wish I could be of help. I picked up over a hundred Ikes at a local bank and never opened a single roll. I had no idea there were so many differences. You got me with the pegleg. The only ones I know of were Peg Leg Bates, an incredibly gifted dancer, and Peter Stuyvesant, who governed New Netherland before it became New York. [I will be watching this topic to evaluate the explanations offered as they come in.]

IMG_4060.jpg

On 10/28/2022 at 7:45 PM, rrantique said:

Your coin to me looks like a business strike..but you have the coin in hand.(shrug)

It looks like a beat up circulated proof to me but you could be right.   So the question now is, how do I tell a proof from a business strike of the proof lusted is gone?

Edited by tj96

On 10/28/2022 at 8:03 PM, rrantique said:

I sent links to both.(thumbsu

That really doesn't help that much.  I'd really like to see that proof in a TPG'er slab that says Pegleg on the label.

Edited by tj96

The OP’s coin is a very impaired proof. At one time the 1971-S “brown pack” Ikes were so cheap that some people just cracked them out as change, PARTICULARLY if they suffered from early “blue haze”.

On 10/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, VKurtB said:

The OP’s coin is a very impaired proof. At one time the 1971-S “brown pack” Ikes were so cheap that some people just cracked them out as change, PARTICULARLY if they suffered from early “blue haze”.

That sounds about right.  Breaking open mint and proof sets and just spend them because they're mostly just junk clad.  But this one is a 40%'er.  So whoever broke it out didn't know what they had.  But the question still remains...  Is this pegleg on a proof significant or just common?

On 10/28/2022 at 8:57 PM, rrantique said:

5001834_Full_Obv.jpg

Now we're talk'in.   Thanks for that rrantique!  I should have looked at the NGC Variety Plus page.........   I think I will.