• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the deal with counterstamped coins.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Why were they stamped? Many Pennie’s and nickels were stamped. I’m starting to think this is a new challenge .

are the new Lincoln cent stamped coins just someone messing around defacing coins, or is it actually profitable to stamp them for resale? 
why early coins are stamped in low denominations?

curious minds want to know, lol 😝 

53508688-EFE0-4329-9EBC-DCAABEDB86F4.jpeg

Greg Brunk's book, Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins is one of the best resources I know of for Countmarked/Counterstamped coins.  Original countermarks are pretty fascinating, and really blends a mix of numismatics and advertising.  Merchants would stamp their businesses on the coins they provided in change to promote their stores (which is why you tend to see smaller denominations, but larger denominations are also available).  Some of these businesses are tied to well known people is history too.  Many things impact the collectibility and value of these coins, from popularity of the store, to the coin and its condition.  Like any other coin, you should not clean them.

Today's counterstamps are more of a novelty.  They are interesting, but do not have the collectability nor value of the originals.  Anyone with a punch and a hammer can make a modern counterstamp.  

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Some consider coins like that damaged, similar to chop marks but without the history and intrigue associated with the purpose which draws collectors like myself to look for certain coins with those marks. I think you would have to find a collector who knows the meaning of that mark for there to be any value other than just being a novelty item. And no, don't clean it. 😉

Edited by EagleRJO

The $303 is for the first edition.  The current edition is $199 (still not cheap, but a little better).  Historic countermarks by documented merchants will straight grade if there are no other problems on the coin.  Modern (home made) countermarks will get a details grade.  I do agree that one would want to specialize in this area to make the book worth the money.