• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the 1969s ddo

8 posts in this topic

I saw the title of the thread, I knew the answer was “no”, without even looking at the picture. That’s just the way this industry works. 

If it were, you would need much better photography, of both sides, ideally with proper alignment, before anyone could give you a firm opinion. Just in case you come across another coin you want evaluated. Props for the size and cropping--you did that part very well.

Here is NGC's photo (from VarietyPlus) of the date area of the rare 1969-S doubled die. Notice the clear doubling on the numerals with both images at about the same depth, while the mintmark, which was punched separately into the die, is not doubled.  Similar doubling appears on the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "LIBERTY.". Your photos are blurry but do not appear to be the doubled die.  If you see a weaker secondary image with less depth than the primary image, it is "strike doubling" caused by the die being a bit loose in the press, which has little or no value to collectors.

815704-4.jpg.7ddf58f057362824ccec932f4e174f87.jpg

On 10/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, JKK said:

If it were, you would need much better photography, of both sides, ideally with proper alignment, before anyone could give you a firm opinion. Just in case you come across another coin you want evaluated. Props for the size and cropping--you did that part very well.

I disagree, as it’s quite clear that the imaged coin isn’t the 1969-S DDO.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, MarkFeld said:

I disagree, as it’s quite clear that the imaged coin isn’t the 1969-S DDO.

Thus my beginning with "If it were..."

On 10/23/2022 at 1:35 PM, JKK said:

Thus my beginning with "If it were..."

If it were, and a picture of similar quality to the one here was provided, that would be sufficient for a “firm opinion”. While your recommendation certainly applies to many, if not most coins, the conspicuous doubling on the 1969-S DDO excludes the need of a reverse image and of an especially clear obverse shot. The same can be said of the 1955 DDO. Still, we’re in agreement that more is better than less, when providing images for purposes of attribution.