• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold coin

11 posts in this topic

Unlike antique cars, coins that have been holed or otherwise damaged cannot be "restored"! Although there are people--often derisively referred to as "coin doctors"--who would attempt to plug the hole with similarly colored metal and to re-engrave the missing detail, such "repairs" are always detectable to informed collectors, dealers, and graders. To attempt to pass off the coin as original would be regarded as fraudulent. Whether holed or plugged, such a coin will always be regarded as severely impaired, and its numismatic (collector) value substantially reduced.

Although your coin is clearly Japanese, I cannot determine its denomination, date or metallic composition, which could be copper nickel, brass or gold, from your photo of one side.  Unless it is a rare date or variety, it would have little or no value unless it is composed of gold, and then only bullion value with a deduction for the hole.  I suggest that you go to the NGC home page and under the "Resources" tab and go to "Price Guides>World Coin Price Guide" to attempt to identify it and obtain current price information for an unimpaired specimen.

Wasn't asking for advise as to whether or not I should engage in shifty fraudulent behavior,lol! I do get what your saying! It has tested for being above 18kt,and if you look at home page and hit my profile,instead of hitting chat,scroll down to the stacks and Bowers coin ads! Their is a grades specimen their,fairly high grade for auction! Was able to find the coin after a ton of research! First issued in 1837,but reissued in the 1870's in a few runs that were extremely low montages! Few than 600 coins total! Was trying to find out if anyone knew of a "coin doctor" or even an established company that could make it look presentable! I've seen plugged coins for sale,well documented,so I do know that it can be done,with full disclosure that work has been done to said coin! And obviously it would be detectable, as nobody is that good! 

Years ago there was a guy that posted ATS, and possibly here, that would offer to plug holes in damaged coins. Full disclosure, no attempted deception. He did it just so someone could have a better looking example for their collection. I saw some of his work, and it wasn't half bad. I don't remember his name, and I don't know if he's still around, but I will give you the names of a few long time members, and maybe someone can tag or PM them and see if anyone who remembers him will respond. (Sorry. I don't know how to tag people on here.)

MarkFeld, gmarguli, Messydesk, AlexinPA 

I think Rodger Burdette and James Garcia were both posting ATS back then, too.

Thank you just Bob,any help is very much appreciated! This forum is a great tool where people can share coins and coin stories! I recently acquired an Indian head cents collection,unfortunately the gentleman's father thought that a shiny coin was better! The only coin he didn't polish was an 1873 closed 3 variety in a fairly high degree of mint state! He had also years ago drilled a hole in an 1877 Indian head cent,because it was the first Indian head he had found in circulation! His son relayed that to me when I was examining his collection of coins for purchase! Needless to say,he was shocked to find out cleaned and altered coins are worth far less! Some of these would've been very high grades had his dad left them alone!

In my experience most collectors would prefer a rare coin that was holed long ago to one that has recently been intentionally altered!  I'd leave it alone or at least show the coin to an expert before taking any such action.

Based on what I can see in my nineteenth century volume of the Standard Catalog of World Coins (2004 edition), your coin if gold is one of a 5-yen piece dating between 1870 and 1897 or a 10 or 20-yen piece made in a few of the years between 1870 and 1892.  Some dates, especially of the 10 and 20-yen, are rare and would likely be worth far more than gold value even if holed.  The date would be in Japanese characters on the other side.  Have you determined the denomination and date of this coin?  Current values--though generally rough for foreign coins--should be on the NGC World Coin Price Guide.  These coins were composed of .900 fine (roughly 22 carat) gold.  It doesn't appear that Japan issued any coins that looked like this in 1837 or any year prior to 1870.

(Please note for future reference that this part of the forum is dedicated to questions regarding the NGC Registry.  It may have gotten more attention if posted under the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" part.)

Per the dating guide in the Standard Catalog this coin dates from 1870 (Year 3, Meiji era), which is also confirmed by the wavy line around the sun which appears only on the photo for coins of Years 3 and 4 (1870-71), catalog Y#11.  A 5 yen would have a diameter of 23.8 mm and originally contained 0.2411 troy oz. of gold.  In the online NGC guide the list value for this date in the lowest listed grade, VF, is $1,400, though this one would likely be worth much less due to the hole (or if plugged). (Your coin is circulated and appears to be hairlined from a cleaning as well as holed. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your valuable help,I don't have alot of foreign coins! Never saw the need to purchase a world coin guide book!  Also have a few Chinese coins that appear to be much older,some are smaller than a U.S. 3 cent piece!