• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Future for coins graded with Environmental Damage
3 3

35 posts in this topic

@Modwriter--Bear in mind that gold dollars, when unworn, contain only 0.04837 troy oz. of gold, worth only about $80 at $1,650 per oz.  I'm not sure what you mean by "low grade".  Worn but unimpaired common date gold dollars generally trade at a substantial premium over gold values. (Current Coin World values for common Types 1 and 3 range from $350 in VF20 to $450 in AU 58.  (Remember that I said "most series", by which I was referring primarily to Liberty $5 through $20 and St. Gaudens $20.) Gold dollars that you could buy for near gold value would likely be "ex-jewelry", which are severely damaged and/or heavily polished.  These are generally shunned by even casual collectors. Higher denominations of the classic series or modern bullion coins are better for acquiring gold.  The ANACS certification, however, is a positive aspect, as gold dollars are often counterfeit.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:22 PM, Modwriter said:

I am a collector but I would like to have gold bullion to stash away.

Consider gold bullion bars which typically have less of a premium over spot than coins, and some of the minted bars can actually look decent. I have purchased both when spot prices seemed low, and only added the coins since I could get then in BU grade for only a little more and liked the way they looked.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:24 PM, Sandon said:

@Modwriter--Bear in mind that gold dollars, when unworn, contain only 0.04837 troy oz. of gold, worth only about $80 at $1,650 per oz.  I'm not sure what you mean by "low grade".  Worn but unimpaired common date gold dollars generally trade at a substantial premium over gold values. (Current Coin World values for common Types 1 and 3 range from $350 in VF20 to $450 in AU 58.  (Remember that I said "most series", by which I was referring primarily to Liberty $5 through $20 and St. Gaudens $20.) Gold dollars that you could buy for near gold value would likely be "ex-jewelry", which are severely damaged and/or heavily polished.  These are generally shunned by even casual collectors. Higher denominations of the classic series or modern bullion coins are better for acquiring gold.  The ANACS certification, however, is a positive aspect, as gold dollars are often counterfeit.

I re-bid on the one PCGS. GENUINE CLEANED DETAIL. Didn't have to bid too much higher than my max bid. That is it for that coin. The other 5 ANACS gold dollars range from VF30 UP TO AU50. Four of them are ex jewelry and one is an AU50 straight grade.I did look at the values for all of them and have my. maximum dollar bids

@EagleRJO I did look at gold bars at JM Bullion.They have a beautiful Brtish gold bar that I considerd. Maybe next time.

Thanks guys.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:37 PM, Modwriter said:

I did look at gold bars at JM Bullion

I have purchased a bunch of bars/coins from them in the past, as well as the other larger online dealer I trust Apmex, without any issues. Good luck with your bids.

Edited by EagleRJO