• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gaudens Fake? 1927 s
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2022 at 12:20 AM, AdamWL said:

I'm pretty sure it's not authentic. Where'd you get it?

Yes, I would like to cross-examine, briefly, the person who sold him that?

On 10/10/2022 at 1:03 AM, Sandon said:

This is a rather crude imitation that was probably cast rather than struck.  Compare it with the photos of a genuine specimen on the NGC Coin Explorer at 1927 S $20 MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com) or those on PCGS Coinfacts at 1927-S $20 (Regular Strike) St. Gaudens $20 - PCGS CoinFacts (right click either link for menu to open).  Just about everything is wrong (surface texture, color, weakness of details, size and style of letters, numbers and mint mark). It's probably not even gold.  The correct weight would be 33.436 grams.     The edge of a St. Gaudens double eagle should have the words "E PLURIBUS UNUM" with the words separated by stars.  What's on the edge of this one?

Agreed 100%.....(thumbsu

The pictures aren't that great, but it looks like a plaster cast not a struck coin.  And an AU circulated 1927-S is worth anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

This appears to be a common refrain on a recurring topic. Here is my take on this: "An educated consumer is our best customer." -Sy Syms.  The problem, as I see it, is not the overseas production facility pumping out laughably obvious products any lurker not well versed in the series can thumb his nose at, but the individual who finds himself stuck with a piece who must then find a way to palm it off. He's the culprit!  But who can blame him?  The seller, the first person who should be consulted, is unavailable or inaccessible. So the buyer pleads his case here. Would an authorized dealer or reputable business sell a coin like this? I seriously doubt it.  But, interestingly, there is another side to this story that is seldom explored: What prompted you to buy this coin? What do you believe a 1927-s Saint is worth?  How much did you pay for it? [From whom?] My condolences.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, VKurtB said:

“Excuse me, is this 2 bothering you?”

”Alright buddy, you’re outta here! C’mon!”

[I only regret I was unable to explain to my wife why I was ROFLOL on the bus after reading your comment!]  :roflmao:

Alan K--The odd look of "IGWT" when compared to the genuine coins shown in the linked sites is one of many indicators that the original poster's coin is a fake, and a crude one at that!

Mark speakith truly, even with his mucose covered tongue firmly pressed against his zygomaticus major !

:)

On 10/10/2022 at 8:00 PM, RWB said:

Mark speakith truly, even with his mucose covered tongue firmly pressed against his zygomaticus major !

:)

🐓:  You were warned about your gratuitous wordsmithing, Q, now you've spread your contagion to Roger!

Q.A.:  Sorry.  😉