• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the protocol if you think you have a discovery coin?

4 posts in this topic

Lets say I have a coin that's dated first year of issue, and has some aspects of the design that don't match any variety on NGC, variety vista, PCGS, VAM world, etc so I suspect it might be a pattern/prototype and want to get it graded, more for the sake of keeping it preserved and giving numismatists the chance to study it than the money. Though I do need the money if it turns out to be what I think it is I'd prefer to sell it to someone who will donate or loan it to a museum. So what do I do? The thought of putting it in the mail (even with a lot of insurance, which I can't afford) puts a pit in my stomach. PCGS told me they can't look at the photo I emailed them and tell me anything, which I understand completely. NGC didn't respond to my email, also understandable.

Smithsonian doesn't take artifacts on loan, only donations, which I would consider if I didn't need the money. 

Are there any museums I could loan it to for a few months? Is it a faux-pa to ask a museum if they would like to purchase it from me and to ask for their offer? 

Thanks

Well, the first step is you have to have it authenticated and designated as a true pattern/prototype.   Without that nobody is going to take you seriously or have any significant interest in whatever it is you think you have.   However, you have given no information about what you have, type of coin, date etc...   Thus, it is really impossible to give you any advice on where to send or who to contact.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, Taylor7 said:

Lets say I have a coin that's dated first year of issue, and has some aspects of the design that don't match any variety on NGC, variety vista, PCGS, VAM world, etc so I suspect it might be a pattern/prototype and want to get it graded, more for the sake of keeping it preserved and giving numismatists the chance to study it than the money. Though I do need the money if it turns out to be what I think it is I'd prefer to sell it to someone who will donate or loan it to a museum. So what do I do? The thought of putting it in the mail (even with a lot of insurance, which I can't afford) puts a pit in my stomach. PCGS told me they can't look at the photo I emailed them and tell me anything, which I understand completely. NGC didn't respond to my email, also understandable.

Smithsonian doesn't take artifacts on loan, only donations, which I would consider if I didn't need the money. 

Are there any museums I could loan it to for a few months? Is it a faux-pa to ask a museum if they would like to purchase it from me and to ask for their offer? 

Thanks

How many years of numismatic experience do you have?